electric motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reubenT

Reaction score
I'm not into cameras and pictures, and don't get around to all the forums too much any more. But my current project is building an electric motor, DC brushless type using N52 neo magnets and pulsed solenoid coils. Supposed to be a super efficient motor. Goal is to make one big enough to drive an EV.
Other than shaft and support frame it all has to be out of non conductive substance. For the first attempt I'm using a 1 in steel shaft on flange bearings, end plates of wood just because that's what I have, with aluminum hub (cast and machined by me) to mount the rotor on, using quartersawn red cedar wood for the coil mounting blocks and steron countertop board for the rotors. 4 threaded rods hold them all together in the right position. If the first one works like it's supposed to I'll build another using staron instead of wood for all of it, since the staron is more stable and harder than wood, and machines very nicely. Both rotor disc and stator blocks have to be drilled with precision hole circles for magnets, coils, and holes for the rods, so I got a grizzly 4" rotary table with dividing plates and chuck to do the job, using it on the old lineshaft lathe. Got a cheap milling table mounted sideways on the tool mount with the rotary table on it so I can move the table around further. It works but isn't as rigid as I'd like. I'll have to get a small milling machine if I'm going to do another one. Or if I'm building a second one as cheap as the first I'll just have to reinforce the mount.
So that's what happening in my neck a the woods.

Sounds interesting Ruben. I know you said you aren't into posting pictures, but that would really be nice to see! Any chance you will post some photos as you go along?

That sounds fascinating reuben, I hope you will post a few photos! :)
Stew.

Back