Electric Motor Problem

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogsy

Reaction score
I switched on my lathe today and it started straight up but was making a loudish humming noise. I shut it straight off then started it again and it made the same noise for a couple of seconds, then a 'pop' followed by something that sounded like 'pppppfffffffffffffffff' complete with a medium sized cloud of magic smoke and the lathe stopped turning :fan:.

I assume a capacitor has died, although I don't know much about electric motors. Just for giggles I hit the start button one final time and the lathe started a bit slower than usual, but got up to speed and sounded just fine. So I have 2 questions: does it sound like it's a capacitor problem? and is it ok to use as it is until I get a replacement for whatever has blown?

The only detail on the motor from the manual is that it is wired for 220V 50Hz 1Ph.

I switched on my lathe today and it started straight up but was making a loudish humming noise.

So I have 2 questions: does it sound like it's a capacitor problem? and is it ok to use as it is until I get a replacement for whatever has blown?
Hi Cogsy.

It could be your capacitor or sticking governor inside your motor.
Almost 100% of motor with a starting capacitor have two different winding
#1 being the starter" weaker less current and need the capacitor"
#2 then the governor will kick in and the motor will run on the second winding.

I would fix it it asap ether problem will destroy your motor.
unplug your capacitor, and short both pin with a screw driver you should have quite a spark and shot gun noise.
For your governor remove your belt start your motor and then shut it off you should here a small click when the RPM is decreasing
hope it helps

Cheers

Your start capacitor exploded. Its is probably shorted so that you now have a crude split phase motor instead of a capacitor start motor. That's the only reason I can see why it started up the second time you tried. It has very little starting torque in it's present condition and I'm surprised it started. Do not try to run the motor in it's present condition. Replace the cap. Inspect the contacts on the centrifugal sw. and make sure it is clean and working freely. That should do it.

WOB

Definitely a blown cap. Wouldn't risk using it in its present state for fear of burning out the start winding. A new cap should solve your probs

Thanks guys. I'll pull the cap off (although they scare the heck out of me) and get another one when funds allow - I am a poor student now. I did finish off the last little bit of the job I was doing yesterday before I got any replies, I hope I haven't done any more damage.

Back