Electric furnace

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you guys .
mecanotrain what kind of insulation material did you used for your kiln ?
If i want to reach 1200 C inside chamber is OK to use bricks for 1500C?
And could you tell me inside and outside dimensions of your kiln please?
Thank you

Hello guys, hello kadora,
Here are the dimensions of the oven; Outside: 285x285x370mm (mailbox of french postal service ;)) , Inside: 140x140x200mm.
Bricks are used for maximum temperature of 1350 ° C.

Hello Roger
Thank you for dimensions I will build very similar kiln.
One question more - did you use Kanthal wire for heating coil?
and how high is electricity consuption i plan to feed kiln
with 2000 W maybe not enough.
Thank you a lot.

Hi kadora,
Yes, 2000W is fine.
My oven is manufactured with 4 dual resistors wired in series: Kanthal A1, max temp 1450°C
The total power is 2200 W.

PIC_13.jpg

Last edited:
I can't seem to find those ones on ebay Roger, only the tight loop or plain wire Kanthal. Most of the sellers don't list a temp rating either I noticed, just the wattage. Where did you source yours?

cheers, Ian

Hi Ian,

I can get a price for local manufacture of those elements for you if you want.
Theres a local bloke here that makes all that sort of stuff.
In Boronia. Might make one myself.

Need physical dimensions and wattage/voltage etc

Dave.

hello
Ian try on ebay.UK- HEATING ELEMENT- i have found a lot of them
already coiled from Kanthal A1 and power up to 3000W
China production.
Kadora

I found a lot of cheap Chinese ones that are just long coils with no straight ends, but also very thin, I don't know if I'd trust them for any substantial work? Especially as they look identical to the ones in my little furnace, and I've already had two sets self-destruct. Pic attached. I did find some really great ( Duralite) ones from the US, 14GA, but as usual the insane postage just kills any value. I could just about buy a new kiln for what enough of these would cost:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261223874139?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D261223874139%26_rdc%3D1

cheers, Ian

coil 01.jpg

coil 02.JPG

Hello all,
I have not bought my resistors on ebay, I contacted a French manufacturer that has wound according to my request.
http://www.adampyrometrie.com/boutique/view.php?cid=489&i_id=979
see "descriptif" ==> description:
Manufacturing coil resistors are custom made and on all brands of oven:
The price depends on:
- The diameter of the wire
- The number of turns
- The number of strands
Do not hesitate to contact us - FREE QUOTE

Here's manufacturer, that coil resistance according to your wishes and the price is not expensive. I paid 150€ for 4 resistors with shipping cost included.

It is the same work that Dave offers in Australia Thm:

(sorry for my english language)

I won small wankel engine on ebay com
price 250USD
post 40 USD
when i clic pay now on paypal invoice appeared
import charge +78USD fortunately seller was able to delete
this "hidden" charge.
Be careful with this new Global Posting Program .

I won small wankel engine on ebay com

Sorry to go slightly off-topic, but, nice work!
I've been trying to purchase one of these engines for a reasonable price for years.

kadora, If you want to make an oven, you should consider ALL equipment purchases:
4 resistors: 150 € (local supplier)
15 Bricks: 60 € (local supplier)
1 PID controller temp: 40 € (ebay)
(http://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_nkw=pid+temperature&_sacat=0&_odkw=r%C3%A9gulateurs+PID)
Miscellaneous: cables, box, hardware, .... 50€ (local store DIY)
The total cost is 300€.

Is this feasible in comparison to commercial equipment? That is the question !

mecanotrain
thank you for the costs sumary.
I have found on internet the cheapest furnace /miniature one/ for 500 euros
I think that for this price i can build bigger furnace.
However what kind of brick did you use for your oven.
Thank you

Thank you Mecanotrain
These bricks are not on the market in my country.
Probably i will try YTONG bricks.

dnalot, did you make your furnace from plans or is it your own design?
I have 3 tanks "airing out" under a tree in the back yard. They've been trere for 2-3 years with the valves removed. What precautions did you take when cutting the tank?
I also have Mikey's burner book. Which burner did you build?

Chuck

I didn't know you could melt iron using propane. I thought you needed a cupola furnace. Details please!

dnalot, did you make your furnace from plans or is it your own design?
I have 3 tanks "airing out" under a tree in the back yard. They've been trere for 2-3 years with the valves removed. What precautions did you take when cutting the tank?
I also have Mikey's burner book. Which burner did you build?

Chuck

I made a few modifications from the furnace described in "Michael Porter's book Gas Burners" Mine is a little taller so the flame doesn't strike the crucible first, The nozzle shape is cast into the refractory. I also welded a second tank to the bottom of the first for a pedestal stand. I keep an old crucible in there to catch a spill if one ever occurs. And my latest improvement was to add 1" of ceramic insulation with a sheet metal cover and some wheels. I can now melt cast iron if I crank up the gas pressure to 25 PSI and shoot a little air into the burner at about the same pressure as the gas, For aluminum I use 12 PSI of gas pressure.

The furnace has held up very well and is very efficient. Last week I fired it up in the morning and melted all my aluminum scraps. After 11 loads I had 85 pounds of ingots and used less than 25 pounds of propane.

My burner is the one made with 3/4" gas pipe. I use a .035 welding tip for the jet.

Mark T

Latest posts

Back