Elbow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Tranter

Reaction score
I want to try my hand at making the Elbow Engine. It says to use Bronze for the cylinders. What type of bronze should I use? And what type of drill rod. Also do the pistons have to be heat treated when they are done?

J
Most use brass for the cylinders and with the price of bronze today its easy to see why..LOL. I used steel for mine but I'm a contrary old guy with a streak of "show me". The drill rod type is not important so choose the one you'll be most likely to harden for another project. I've found water hardening is a bit cheaper than the oil hardening rod. You won't need to harden the pistons on this project. The one phrase to use as a mantra... "Perfectly Square". Just remember you heard it here first....(grin).

Bogstandard has posted quite a few hint, tips and teases concerning the Elbow engine. The needed information is all there but, being a crusty old guy, he makes you think a bit to get it all...LOL. There are a number of them that have been built on the forum so I'm quite sure free advice is the one commodity you will not be lacking.

Just know before you begin... it's an easy to build, but frustrating to tweak little engine. They don't come with much more satisfaction than after you've wrestled this one into submission...LOL Did I mention the phrase "perfectly square"?

Steve

Hi J
I used brass for the cylinders on mine, and plain mild, cold roll steel
for the pistons. I did leave them a little thicker in the undercut to give
them more rigidity. I bent them without any heating.
It isn't pretty but it runs.... :lol:

Rick

Hi J,
Use whatever you can get your hands on, except air hardening drill rod if you are going to be heating the pistons to bend them, as you will have to 'tweak' them afterwards, and don't quench them in water, let them cool down naturally.
Don't take any notice of what Steve has to say, he's only a beginner (and still on parole), 'perfectly' square just isn't good enough, they have to be ABSOLUTELY square. :lol:
But a great engine to build and get running.
Keep us posted.

John

Hi J,

On mine I used an unknown type of yellow brass that had been laying around for a few years doing nothing. The pistons were made of the same material and way Rake made his. Make sure the surfaces are absolutely positively square.

Kenny

Thanks for the help. I'll be asking more quetions as I get in to this.
John

Latest posts

Back