Elbow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thm: Good to hear that Chris

Could the flywheel weight be pulling the bearing block out of square when it's vertical ? - also check the fit of the axle screws; they need to have close tolerances - no wiggle; just a good running fit.

Kind regards, Arnold

Okay....the axles I used were a couple of 3/16" shoulder screws.
I reamed the cylinders to 3/16" when I should have reamed them undersize.
There is enough slop between the shoulder screws and the cylinder holes to create issues.

Just last night I tried using grease.....the engine actually did not run at 30 or 60psi.

I cleaned everything off and used way oil....it runs better than ever at about 20psi.

Was it the way oil....or did it just need to come apart and be put back together...ha,ha,ha...what a crazy engine.

I would love to build this engine again...someday.

When I remember to bring in my camera I will post some pics and a video.

Thanks for everyone's help with this....much appreciated.

Chris

Pleases you got a runner Chris.

I think it should be called the persistant engine because thats what you need to get get it going persistance.

Stew

Good to hear you got it running Chris ;D

stickpoke So how about those photos then :)

I would love to build this engine again...someday.
;D Me too... I'm planning a really masochist version for one day when I really hate myself :big:

Kind regards, Arnold

Ha,ha...the engine is at work and my camera is at home.

I keep forgetting to introduce them to each other.

Hopefully next week I will remember.

The second Elbow engine will have to wait a while.

Chris

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I took the perfectly fine running engine apart this afternoon to add a flipping paper gasket....put it back together and it will not run! I took the gaskets out (thinking that was the problem) and it still will not run!!!!!!!

I wiped everything clean, check for squareness, put it back together using every possible piston configuration and it just will not run. I tried 80 psi and it does not even want to turn over. It spins by hand freely but not with air????

This thing does not have to be timed right?

Working great yesterday....today not at all.

:mad:

Oh boy...this engine is quite interesting. I wanted to take the engine outside and have a discussion with it...."why engine, why are you being so difficult"...."why engine, why don't you like me?"......."why engine, why have I had to make 4 cylinders, 3 flywheels, 2 bases, 2 posts, and 2 valve ports?".

The first Elbow Engine I built worked great...then I took it apart to add a gasket and it barely ran on 60psi. The second engine I built runs much better on a little less than 20psi. I made the cylinder out of aluminum and made the flywheel much smaller. The pistons are 0.250" and the cylinder bores are 0.257"...it was the only way I could get it to run without binding up.

I am going to build a third Elbow Engine...not giving up...just don't want to proceed with another engine until I am satisfied with the results.

Enjoy...

Chris

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Here is a video of my second attempt at the infamous Elbow Engine. The flywheel is plain and boring and much smaller than the original...and the vertical cylinder is made from Aluminum. I am satisfied with this version...it runs immediately without having to turn it over by hand and it runs as low as 10PSI.

[ame]http://youtu.be/aDaxzxvRo6E[/ame]

Chris

Good going Chris ;D - it runs like a champ.

Now for that 12 cylinder version ;)

Kind regards, Arnold

Well done that man :bow: :bow: :bow:

I think a better name for the elbow engine would be the persistance engine as thats what you need to build one.

Did a spot a little leak from the the upright a little sealant will sort that.

Also have you tried it with thicker oil (engine oil or slidways oil) you'll find that it will run down to about 5 psi using that juice.

You R now a member of the elbow engine builders club ;D ;D ;D

Stew

arnoldb said:
Good going Chris ;D - it runs like a champ.

Now for that 12 cylinder version ;)

Kind regards, Arnold

Thanks Arnold...12 cylinder version would give me nightmares...I'll leave it to you.

Chris

sbwhart said:
Well done that man :bow: :bow: :bow:

I think a better name for the elbow engine would be the persistance engine as thats what you need to build one.

Did a spot a little leak from the the upright a little sealant will sort that.

Also have you tried it with thicker oil (engine oil or slidways oil) you'll find that it will run down to about 5 psi using that juice.

You R now a member of the elbow engine builders club ;D ;D ;D

Stew

Thank you Stew...I may try way oil this evening. At the moment the 3 in 1 oil has been doing okay.

Thanks again!

Chris

Latest posts

Back