Edge Finder Heads Up

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abby said:
Aluminium bronze is magnetic ::)

Ooer... I wonder what that bit of bar in the shed is, then? Hard, bronzy coloured, non-magnetic...

I shall have to do some Chemistry, I suspect!

Dave H. (the other one)

abby said:
Aluminium bronze is magnetic ::)

I'm not sure if that is a question or a statement.

Either way, I think it is only true while it has an electric current flowing through it.

Bill Thanks for the heads-up on the hard wearing requirement, I wasn't aware the rubbing would be that significant.

I'm still interested in some shop build drawings if any one knows where they can be found.

Cheers

Bez

Try a magnet on a piece of Aluminium bronze bar , this is how we check out this material in the scrap yard.

Hi Folks,

Just a question, are edge finders more accurate than wigglers?

Rather than building a special non magnetic edge finder out of some unobtainium, why not go to your local friendly electronics shop and ask for a demagnetiser. Up here in 'Straya there's an electronics company called Jaynar, I noticed one in their catalogue for all of $6 and some cents, it was a 2009 catalogue though.
I'm sure that we are not alone and these things will be available elsewhere.
cheers
Bill Pudney

Demagnitizers: I just tore apart a non functioning electric can opener and
removed the drive motor, threw away the armature and "lo and behold" a
no cost de-magnitizer. Plug it in slowly pass the object (edgefinder screwdriver etc.) through the hole that use to have an armature in it and
move the object away a good distance before turning of the power.

"1970 Tape bulk eraser " from Radio Shack .

Hilmar

Latest posts

Back