edge detector

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentprop

Reaction score
Has anyone built the electronic edge finder that was featured in MEW late last year?It was in either november or december issue.Just looking for things to watch out for before I jump in with both feet,and sink straight to the bottom :big:.Thanks.

Hi Hans
A word of caution, The article was written I suspect as the project evolved with the consequence the "Mk2" mentioned is a much more viable option. I eventually successfully completed the project and have been experimenting with the concept using an audio sounder instead of the LED listed. in essence it works well and I have only minor details to finalize before I go public
Kindest Regards
TerryT

Hi Guys,
If I may make a suggestion, make the touching point flexible or sprung. Yes, the voice of experience.
Another voice of experience might be to use those little square LEDs, that way you can have two of them pointing sideways for better brightness. The normal LED, as used in most commercial units, is designed to be viewed from the end not from the side, much to its detriment.
Ned

Thanks for the comments chaps.
Ned,I have some high brightness led's,which I though of using.
I'll have a go,it's not a huge outlay in material if I make a mess of it ;D.

Another suggestion might be to buy one! In Holland you can buy such a detector for 49,- euros. I have one and measured the accuracy, within 0.005mm... More then good enough for me, and since it is the basis of all following operations I want these kind of tools to be as accurateas possible! I will add the dimension errors afterwards myself while machining ;D
Of course if the goal here is to make one you should certainly do it, no better satisfaction then to use your home made tools!

Regards Jeroen

Ned Ludd said:
Hi Guys,
If I may make a suggestion, make the touching point flexible or sprung. Yes, the voice of experience.
Yeppppp...I second this suggestion....another voice of experience...

Buy one?BUY ONE??????????Jeroen,that's not a Dutchman's way.
You've got to look after the "centjes" :big: :big: :big:
Besides,that's about $100 in our nz money,I can buy lots of other goodies with that sort of money.But being a poor, dutch,cash strapped peasant,I can't afford it.
In any case,I think it's much more fun to make your own.

Back