Edgar T Westbury Seal 15cc

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think that depends if you order the casting kit or the complete casting and materials kit

I built the sealion years ago before Hemingways took over the rights. The casting were really bad I.e. blow holes and just poor castings I did eventually get it completed and running.
I used hall triggered transistor ignition from the crankshaft (2 × Magnets) couldn't get points to work at all.
Best of luck on the build.

The cast iron for the piston rings arrived yesterday. I am pleased to report that I now have a batch of what appear to be useable rings.
DSCF9236.JPG

I made them the same size as the ones supplied in the kit. They all were within a tenth or two of nominal 0.625 x 0.025 x 0.025". I snapped them with snipers and loaded them on to a mandrel for heat treating.
DSCF9238.JPG

I have a small kiln, I cooked them at 700 deg C and allowed them to cool down slowly overnight. They all survived and stayed straight. I noticed that they have more spring than those supplied.
DSCF9240.JPG

The picture below shows the new rings with the suppled ones in the box, which varied considerably in thickness. The replacements just need a quick polish to get them to size.
DSCF9242.JPG

Time will tell how well they work. Now I have to make the pistons.

That is why I asked.
What I thought I had ordered was a full kit. Here is what it says in the kit description:

"The kit includes material for the major items required to complete the engine as originally designed with a direct mounted distributor. The kit is not exhaustive and constructors will need to find (or make) various items including hex fasteners. In time, we hope to add a supplemental kit for those wishing to incorporate Westbury's optional vertical distributor and water pump."

It is missing a lot of material, there was a piece of bronze, which may have been for the con rods, however it was round bar and not big enough for the part. No distributor or water pump casting. I have built other Hemingway kits in the past and they have been excellent, this one is appalling. That said, I am now enjoying the build. Still not sure what tho do about water pump and ignition, but I am a fair way off that stage.

What I thought I had ordered was a full kit. Here is what it says in the kit description:

"The kit includes material for the major items required to complete the engine as originally designed with a direct mounted distributor. The kit is not exhaustive and constructors will need to find (or make) various items including hex fasteners. In time, we hope to add a supplemental kit for those wishing to incorporate Westbury's optional vertical distributor and water pump."

It is missing a lot of material, there was a piece of bronze, which may have been for the con rods, however it was round bar and not big enough for the part. No distributor or water pump casting. I have built other Hemingway kits in the past and they have been excellent, this one is appalling. That said, I am now enjoying the build. Still not sure what tho do about water pump and ignition, but I am a fair way off that stage.
How about a picture of your new engine

As requested here is a picture of the progress so far:

2487F528-BABA-4FC9-9B96-5FBB0AA40319.jpeg

The valve cages are a light press fit into the block. I allowed about 2 tenths oversize. The end (incomplete) one moved as I tried to open up the port, must have been a bit on the small side. I took it out and used a high strength retainer. All the others seem fine, I used a non setting jointing compound to bed them down onto, probably unnecessary, but will make me feel better. The rouge one has yet to be finished as I am away from home for a week, I am hoping that it will now stay put, I think that the process of making the port opening should lock the two materials together. Skimming the head will place the highest load on the joint, my theory is that if they all stay put for that then they should be finer in service as there is little load on them.

Next I will press in the cylinder liners, and install the rotating bits which are all made. Then need to make the carburettor, ignition system (not decided which way to go on this) and make a load more studs for the manifold.

Latest posts

Back