• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Edelstaal MachineX5 Lathe Mill Model 0-514-01 MADE IN USA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Is this guy crazy or am I

Edelstaal MachineX5 Lathe Mill Model 0-514-01 MADE IN USA

The guy has a $450 OBO price tag on this lathe . it has no motor and no tooling .
this lathe has an orphan thread and orphan tapers so one would have to make tapers and a back plates to hold chucks face plate etc.

I have one of these lathes and purchased one for a friend . The one for the friend was in the same as this one no motor or chuck .

IMHO he is asking about Two three times what this lathe is worth.

On a positive note the plastic handles are intact . But this could change if the item is poorly packed and shipped.

Tin

Tin,

You illustrate the value of a forum like this. I would never know about the short comings of this lathe. As a newbie machinist, I may think this is a good deal.

"G"

Hello Tin,
I never heard of this forum until I searched for the Machinex5 lathe on a lark. I've never built an engine and would not know where to start. I am a 61 year old locksmith in El Paso. I am surprised to have found you and especially of your comments about the lathe. I agree completely. I have had one for over 30 years and it is getting pretty worn out and wobbly. I bid what I thought the lathe on Ebay was worth for parts to fix mine and didn't even get any replies. That person originally listed it for $540.00 and after 30 days lowered it to $450.00. We are now into the 15th day and he has not had but one offer which he apparently ignored. We shall just wait and see what happens. I wish I could know who buys it and how much they paid if it does sell. I thought Ebay would force a sale where the seller advertises no reserve and asks for offers, but no, they will not. If the seller thinks he is not getting enough he is allowed to ignore the offers and re-post the item for sale.
Enough griping. I do plan to look over this website and learn some about it. This direct response to your post is enough of an introduction so thank you for letting me rant.

Thanks for your interest Mrjimbo all I can say is keep an eye out on e-bay. Like I said I have purchased a couple of these lathes in the past and got good deals I have seen the beds and some parts for sale. IIRC there is a stock of spares for these in a garage or warehouse somewhere assuming it was not scrapped. I doubt it.

And it seems the value and priced of the older used tools keeps going up.
Over $600 sometimes $800 for a unimat.
And as more collectors learn about them the price goes up. IIRC i could have purchased 3 of these a few years ago for what this guy wants for one.

So hang out here if you like the focus is model engines but we do talk about fixing old machine tools and clocks as well.
Iturned mine into a cnc machine and
Tin

The other thing that galls me with this guy is he lists the unit as a lathe mill. Not only is he not offering the optional second milling head, but there appears to be no milling column. Mine has the second head so I can drill if I want and of course the vertical column.

It irritates me the ***** that sell on e bay that have no clue as to what they are selling. And think it is worth many times its actual value because they saw someone else sell "One like it for much money"

My turn to rant.

MJB I do not have parts to sell but do have a machines shop of sorts . I made a couple of Face /back/adapter plates for a friend of mine and still have some of the cast iron stock I used.
They are nice little lathes too bad the head stock thread and centers are orphans.and I am sure we can adapt some standard pars to fit like a quick change tool post. I l know a 3 jaw or 4 jaw chuck from a mini lathe can be adapted.

Tin

Go for the rant. You're letting off steam over something insignificant.

I have the 4-jaw and 3-jaw chucks. But All the jaws on the 4 are broken along the alignment groove. I'm trying to find someone to make new ones who won't charge me by the body part. My 3-jaw works well but the jaws are worn down so much the smallest they will hold is about 3/16". Just need new aluminum parts. Thankfully, I originally got 4 collets which have served very well. I rebuilt the motor with ball-bearings instead of bushings. I replaced the idler pulley shaft with a hardened dowel rod and new bushings. Had to re-tap larger set screws for all the pulleys. Added an electric drive to the lead screw that is SCR speed controlled so the plastic knobs wont get broken so easily. Made a hand turned lead screw for when it is mounted on the vertical post. The drill press vise broke in half so I made another from steel. Tool post stripped out all the screws then broke half off. Made another from steel while I could. I have had to do a lot of 'fixin' on this machine that a good machine would not have needed. I made a custom vise to fit on the cross slide so I could cut keys by exact dimensions. All in all it still works. I just have to do small projects.

I agree a lot with the hit on some eBay sellers.

Just further emphasizes the need to be an informed buyer. Heck, I research stuff that costs $10. So I'm dang sure gonna research something that costs $450. Unless the seller flat out lies, I usually get exactly what I'm expecting.

Another
Machinex lathe
On E bay Buy it now for $350
fairly complete this one has a chuck, motor , colum , one motor.
Tin

Back