eBay impulse buy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Wescott

Reaction score
I have no excuse -- because I currently don't have the skills to complete the engine, nor the time. I'm going to start on it after I've made one or two piston/liner sets, and maybe built one from billet. Or I'm gonna die of old age, leaving my kids to wonder what the heck to do with it (probably grace a landfill someplace).

For the non-aeromodellers: it's a casting set for a Drone Diesel replica, from Davis Diesel Development, who's sold diesel accessories for years. The original dominated American control line stunt for about two years, until the glow plug came along, and along with it, the Fox 35.

I suspect it's an abandoned commercial project -- the casting certainly looks very good to my semi-educated eyeballs. It looks too fine for a sand casting unless it was done by a foundry willing to put a lot of love into it. Original had a bore x stroke of 16.67 x 22.22mm according to the source I have -- I'd say "but it's an American engine", except that the same reference shows a picture of the front bearing, and the part number works out to a 12mm shaft.

Scary (for me) thin walls on the cylinder liner and the crankcase right below the cooling fins if I build it with the correct bore & stroke, and the nose casting if I put a bushing in for a prop.

impulse_buy.jpg

I have no excuse -- because I currently don't have the skills to complete the engine, nor the time. I'm going to start on it after I've made one or two piston/liner sets, and maybe built one from billet.

View attachment 101944

Thats a pretty good plan. Best to get your skill set up to snuff before moving forward.

Back