E. T. Westbury Warrior Mk II J. P. Bertinat sort of...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brookesy

Reaction score
So after successfully finishing my first engine I'm looking at options for the next project. Nothing commercially available (that I can find) exactly fits what I have in mind. I don't intend to design-as-you-go this time. It will be fully designed before I start.

Attached is a photo of an early 1800's steam launch engine made by A. Brown of Bedford 3" bore/stroke. This is almost exactly what I want. It's the curved lines of the frame and proportions that appeal to me.

I thought about the getting the Stuart Turner V10 kit (3/4" bore) and re-designing the frame etc. but it's not quite there.

E. T. Westbury's Warrior (Mk II version by John Bertinat) has promise. If I get the cylinder castings etc. (A.J. Reeves) and design an engine around them that would work. The Warrior Mk II construction was detailed in Model Engineer Vol 146-147. Does anyone have copies they would let go?

I have a Model Engineer article on the reversing gear for the Warrior but can't find the details of the engine. May have to buy the drawings from A.J. Reeves even though most of the details would change.

If anyone has suggestions for other commercially available drawings/castings that might be suitable that would be great.

Launch Engine A Brown 5.jpg

After a bit of work getting the hang of FreeCAD I've managed to produce this.
Next step is to refine it a bit and try 3D printing. Damn you learning curve!!!

Some thoughts:

If I can find someone to cast this in alloy I'm wondering if a nylon cross-head running in the guide would work...

Maybe gunmetal with a cast iron cross-head?

Anyway, I've made some progress, that's ok for now

A Brown frame.PNG

A bit more progress on the FreeCAD front.
It's making more sense now.

So I guess the next step is to work out how to 3D print the frame...
Then build a small forge to melt a bit of aluminium...

Fingers crossed

A Brown frame 2.PNG

I'm getting used to FreeCAD now. A bit further along with the design
and got the 3D printer working. I'll post an update when the frame and base are printed.

Front-right.JPG

Rear-right.JPG

Hi everyone,

I've just joined this group, rhankyou for having me.
I'm after some advice.
My uncle has passed away and has left me some model engines...
Could anyone tell me what these are and maybe a value .....
They are in working order just very dusty.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230723_142434.jpg
    20230723_142434.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230723_142444.jpg
    20230723_142444.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230723_142455.jpg
    20230723_142455.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230723_142507.mp4
    24.9 MB
  • 20230723_142717.jpg
    20230723_142717.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230723_142735.jpg
    20230723_142735.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230723_142815.jpg
    20230723_142815.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
sjbrough.
You've posted this in the wrong place. Not many people will see it. Try reposting in The Break Room on the front page. Good luck.

So after successfully finishing my first engine I'm looking at options for the next project. Nothing commercially available (that I can find) exactly fits what I have in mind. I don't intend to design-as-you-go this time. It will be fully designed before I start.

Attached is a photo of an early 1800's steam launch engine made by A. Brown of Bedford 3" bore/stroke. This is almost exactly what I want. It's the curved lines of the frame and proportions that appeal to me.

I thought about the getting the Stuart Turner V10 kit (3/4" bore) and re-designing the frame etc. but it's not quite there.

E. T. Westbury's Warrior (Mk II version by John Bertinat) has promise. If I get the cylinder castings etc. (A.J. Reeves) and design an engine around them that would work. The Warrior Mk II construction was detailed in Model Engineer Vol 146-147. Does anyone have copies they would let go?

I have a Model Engineer article on the reversing gear for the Warrior but can't find the details of the engine. May have to buy the drawings from A.J. Reeves even though most of the details would change.

If anyone has suggestions for other commercially available drawings/castings that might be suitable that would be great.

View attachment 93135
Hi

where can I find more information on this engine or on "A. Brown"? Googling that gets me TONS of off topic stuff :)
Thanks

Back