Dynamo build by castings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I see in the photos are you going to make one with an iron rotor and one with polyurethane? The motors are looking good in your photos.

Don

I have forgotten to explain, the withe rotor is a tool for aliening the parts on the base plate. It is importend to have a small air gap between the magnets and the coil. This is the only critical adjustment.
This tool have three function:
1. for aliment
2. to fill up the coil with resin
3. to make the wirer connection of the coils befor final installing

Best Regards
Manfred

Thanks for pointing that out Manfred. I would like to know what material the rotor will be made of? I know the rotor in your demo was polyurethane.

Don

Fabulous work!

I think you'll be running into eddy current losses with the cast stator housing. I had a part I designed recently with a motor in an aluminum housing. The housing was aluminum and the airgap was 12mm or more. I test assembled it without the iron stator, and the eddy losses were extremely large, far more than I expected. This motor is 61mm long and the magnets only ~2.5mm thick. This is going to be a problem with air core coils. It may be less of a problem with the plastic rotor.

Greg

Don the rotor is made from iron casting, that is planed for to day, now it is 7:30 AM.
Greg, if I run into the eddy current problem, I`m going to change the housing to polyurethane.

Best Regards
Manfred

Generator - Gehäuse.jpg

the day is gone and the 3 rotors are not finished. The 36 grooves 1mm deep are left. Each rotor is made out of tow pieces and fixed on a center wheel.
The groove at the center is made with a keyway broaches under a press. The lathe operation are simple, nothing special.
To make all this parts from bar stock, that is only for highly trained experts.

Best Regards
Manfred

Zeichnung Rotor 36 Magnete.jpg

DSC00764.JPG

DSC00761.JPG

That's a neat stepped collet fixture you have there. Looks like it would hold various large sizes of flywheels and such? Did you make that?

Simon

That would be a bell collet. Nice if you can find them...very popular in Europe.
They come in sets
Dave

Hello Simon,

each collet set are 6 pieces ( 6 inside and 6 outside ), the max. diameter are 70mm in steps of one mm. This tools belong to the weiler lathe.

Best Regards
Manfred

DSC00765.JPG

Hello,

from the drafting board to the pattern, from the patter to the casting parts without trouble. With a new construction a failure can be done easily.
The magnet on the rotor are glued with JBWELD. The space between the magnets become filled up with resin.

Best Regards
Manfred

DSC00770.JPG

Hi Manfred glad to see you are still making progress. The rotor look good and are there two magnets stacked together per position? I seem to see this on you last photo.

Don

Modification of the rotor layout. To find the best magnet configuration I have made several test. Test 5. give the best result. One layer of 36 magnet, tow magnet north and than tow magnet south and so on.

Best Regards
Manfred

26.06.png

DSC00775.JPG

a pic with the grinder in motion. Don`t grinde to hard, the magnets are start burning. :confused: oooooooh the spell checker is gone ? The most importend tool.

DSC00781.JPG

DSC00782.JPG

Best Regards
Manfred

That tool is gone!!! :-D I miss it too, If you use Mozilla there is a way to set it for check spelling in everything that you write in Internet.

It is good to see an update Manfred. Keep up the great work :)

Manfred first Happy Birthhday. Glad to see you back on track I am waiting to see the completed dynamo. How is the project coming along?

Regards Don

That is a good looking generator and represents the old generators of the times. I love it . Great work Manfred. Are you still going to product casting set?

Don

Hey Don,
I`m going to make one more rotor experiment. Than I have to finish and up to date the drawing work. I don`t like this shipping and packing work. I have in minde to place the pattern in the foundry and any one can make his one order.
A other way is to set up a Team Project and make a bulk order to the foundry to get a better price.

Best Regards
Manfred

Back