Dyna Myte 2400

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

This may be my first post here but I have been a member for a while just reading and admiring all the cool projects.
This time I have something to add.

Dave brought all the electrical stuff over for his mill project for me to hook up as I enjoy this kind of work, so I thought I would post a progress report and a few pics of how its all coming together.

Here is the cabnit as I received it.

100_1986.jpg

Cleaned it up a bit and also re sized a existing hole in one side for a intake cooling fan it already had a exhaust fan in the bottom.
100_1987.jpg

OK on to some wiring I added a 12 volt power supply that Dave had to run the cooling fans and any needed relays, the 48 volt supply will be used strictly for the gecko drive. There is some wiring yet to be done in the next few pics and things need to be tied and tidied up. But it powers up fans run, e stop works, spindle relay works getting close to making chips. Everything is soldered with shrink tube after.

100_1991.jpg

100_1992.jpg

100_1994.jpg

I have a nice AL plate that's going to cover all the original holes in drive side not installed yet couple hours tomorrow and it should be ready for testing.

100_1996.jpg

100_1990.jpg

Happy new year.
Jeff

I got the wiring finished up. Then Dave and I got it hooked to the mill and mach3 up and running looks like a lot to learn. But all the axis work and we got x about dialed in. I was really happy that gecko has a file on there site to get mach3 set up for there drive it looks intimidating to manually enter all that stuff, maybe its not so bad if you understand it all I don't yet. And there is enough other stuff to learn without worrying about what pin and port do what right from the start.
I imagine it will take another half day or so just to get things set up and do a test program. Then it's all about learning the G code.
I'm sure Dave will post again when he comes in from the shop in a week or so LOL. I know Id be out there all night if it was mine.
This has got me wanting to get another smaller lathe like a 9x20 and cnc it. Pretty cool stuff

100_1998.jpg

Jeff

lokks good Did I miss somthing in the explanation but why two power supplies.
OK read through again 48v to run the motors and a 12v for the fans and to power relays.
Tin

Wanta say thanks to Jeff for the help, nice job on the box. It was cool to have someone a little more savvy here when this all went together.sorta funny That Jeff had read the Gecko manual and I read Mach. And no I wasn't out there all night I came in about 9
All in all it went well I was able to get the X&Y dialed in the Z I'm having some issues with as the coupler is not holding I know what the issue is and can correct it with a new coupler. When I machined that ball screw I had missed my mark of 5/16 by 15 thou under, and I reamed my holes in the couplers 5/16 its just a matter of making a new one. So something else on the list.I need to finish the bench today or at least get the top secured. And here are a few bad pics
DSC03795.jpg

DSC03794.jpg

Dave

Hi all
Just a quick note on my CNC I made a new coupler yesterday mounted the power supply box and tightened everything up and got the wet bench finished. Today it was time to play or learn and after getting the x y &z set up learning a few things I cut a few samples. Tomorrow i will take some pics and maybe even another cr**py video to post.
O and yes I did the happy dance lol
Dave

Great stuff!!!!!!!!! ;D

Looking forward to the video!
This must be a huge learning experience for you!!
Looks like the right road to be on though!

Andrew

Hi All
As promised here are some pics the machine on the bench a pic of the drain I still need to cut the sharp corners off the ends and cover with some tubing. I will make a tube frame above the bench and hang a ducky curtain to be pulled around the sides and some sorta splash shield in the front.
DSC03810.jpg

DSC03808.jpg

Dave

Great going, Dave. :bow: :bow:
That will make a sturdy workhorse for you.
I still have, and use, a Dyna Myte 3000H lathe that I got 25+ years ago. Not a great controller, but it still works and the iron is still rock solid.
Gail in NM

Hi all
Well a few weeks gone by and and boy what a learning experience. And it has been fun, running the machine is the easy part for me it is the same as our business CNC embroidery machines less the Z axes so setting things up and keeping them from crashing is a cake walk. On the other hand the CAD (i'm using cam bam) program is working my brain over but I am getting the hang of it with the help of the support forum. It seems time consuming at first I know the first few things I drew and cut I could have made 1/2 a dozen manually. But as I learn more it is becoming apparent that with a little practice you can go from paper to chips in a short amount of time.
I will post some pic's when I get some parts made.
Dave

Dave, I missed this thread - you've done some really nice work!

For anyone interested in CNC, here's the way to go, IMO. There's a LOT of quality heavy iron out there that was made in the 1980's and 1990's that have antiquated and/or burned-out CNC controls and motors. You can pick up a 3,000 lb vertical mill with ball screws that has a CNC control that uses 5.25" floppy disks or similar, ancient junk, and the shops that have them cannot find parts, or don't have the time to deal with these older machines.

Us hobbyists pick them up for a song, strip and literally throw out the old electronics, and refit the machine with new stuff. You end up with an awesome CNC machine. My buddy bought an old Bridgeport BOSS mill and did just that.

In your case, you've had a lot more work to do. And I think you'll agree with me that a project like this is usually more complex than you envision when you pick it up, with the software side of it being a bit alien for most of us. For me, the CAM (g-code) side of it has been the most difficult to absorb.

Thanks for the comments Swead, I really have had a lot of fun with this and you are right there is ton's of machines waiting to be fitted to CNC I'm already looking forward. One thing for me is that its the journey to the finished product more than anything it the small problems and finding the solutions if you noticed the dates on the posts this was a 9 month build but not full time if I were to put it into hours it would be close to 100 not really that bad. I am looking at doing a lathe next but not a bench top but a full size machine I'm looking at a 14" swing Logan in Cali that would be a nice one to fit and I'm not stopping there I have really been looking at my Cincinnati tool master but this is all down the road. And as you commented the software side is the challenge but its is surprising how just working with it and making the errors teach so much I have to pat my self on the back here a bit as I have only made a few errors that caused no more damage than some broken cutters.
Thanks
Dave

Latest posts

Back