Dykem Hi-spot

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by pkastagehand, May 17, 2019 at 4:47 PM.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. May 17, 2019 at 4:47 PM #1

pkastagehand

pkastagehand

pkastagehand

So, does Hi-Spot have a shelf life? I once had some layout dye that got so old it didn't work...

I was thinking I would try to improve my imported mill vise and was trying to use some Hi-Spot and found that it was almost impossible to see any blue on the part after sliding on the surface plate. It transferred because I could feel it and see the residue on my finger, and it got the rag blue to some extent when I wiped it off. But it was so pale I couldn't read it.

I looked for other threads about transferring dye when scraping but couldn't

2. May 17, 2019 at 5:29 PM #2

goldstar31

goldstar31

goldstar31

Haggis Breeder
    My years old layout dye is still OK to use. Perhaps the solvent has evaporated on yours.

As far as a merest trace of blue for scraping, that's what it all about. If you read Connelly he suggests using a red oil based paint as an undercoat and of course a bright light to scrape to. Connelly and his book has been raised and raised in this forum.
    What you are looking for is not the blue but the bits which have been rubbed away as 'high spots'. OK, I live in the UK, very ancient and my eyes are now useless but that is where I went in the past.

Having written this, I hope that I haven't told you something you know, if so please accept my apologies.

Norm

3. May 17, 2019 at 11:57 PM #3

canadianhorsepower

canadianhorsepower

canadianhorsepower

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

simply use a sharpie, does a better job at 1/4 of the price

4. May 18, 2019 at 6:18 AM #4

TonyM

TonyM

TonyM

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

Retired
    The sharpie is OK for marking out but not to replace High spot which is the same as Micrometer blue. I had some for years and it was OK. Maybe the vice is better than you imagine. I used the wifes dark lipstick once when I couldn't find the micrometer blue. That worked OK too.

5. May 18, 2019 at 1:47 PM #5

ShopShoe

ShopShoe

ShopShoe

What you are looking for is also known (In the USA, anyway, as Prussian Blue). Check with a well-stocked Auto Parts dealer. Your High-Spot paste can be purchased at McMaster-Carr. Also did a search under "Prussian Blue" and found it can be ordered from Walmart.com

Also, Tom Lipton (oxtoolco on YouTube) suggested substituting an artist's pigment for these uses, an idea suggested by his artist wife. I'm sorry, but I can't provide a link to the video where this came up.

I have used the paste for years for checking fits and mating finishes and it is a little old-school but will work very well.

--ShopShoe

6. May 18, 2019 at 3:24 PM #6

TonyM

TonyM

TonyM

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

Retired
    Out of curiosity I did a bit of digging and both products are Prussian blue based.
    Layout blue is Prussian blue mixed with alcohol
    Micrometer blue is Prussian blue mixed with a grease.
    You live and learn.

7. May 19, 2019 at 10:18 AM #7

goldstar31

goldstar31

goldstar31

Haggis Breeder