DuraFix Aluminum Rods

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

In talking to a friend at the small engine parts place, he found a Briggs piston that should work. The size is right but it may have to have the wrist pin relocated. There's no way to know without seeing it. The shop that will bore the block can also deal with that.

Pete, I keep thinking I'm going to get into casting. If I knew someone local that would definitely be the way I would go. Maybe one day I will get my foundry together.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks,
Jon

Harbor freight ( don't throw anything ;) ) has a similar product they call 'alumiweld'.
same 730 degree flowing temp. they sell it in lil tube, holding 8 rods and an instruction sheet for about $15

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Hi

I used a similar product on the casing of my small boiler. Heat is the main thing with this stuff and I found it best to do it in the brazing hearth with as many bricks around the part as possible. With a little practice good joints can be achieved. I have had no problems with the joints even under boiler heat. This link will take you to the page.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2092.240

Cheers

Rich

Thanks for all the info. Fortunately NOS parts look like they are more plentiful than I had previously thought. Hopefully there will be no need to try to build up worn parts. Looks like all I'll need to do is turn some bushings and maybe valve tappets. I'll probably get the block bored next week. With a little luck, I should have it all back together soon.

Thanks,
Jon

Since you are planning on boring the cylinder any way, there is a process that I have used sucessfully on Wisconsin air cooled engines as well as others. Ask your macine shop if he can overbore and then install a sleeve in the cylinder, then you can bore the sleeve to fit your existing piston. Your old piston is probably usable if you have the skirt knurled and refitted as well as recut the ring grooves and shim the lands to accomodate the original width rings.
Richard

Latest posts

Back