Dumb... Wiring an electric motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Royal Viking said:
Dan, I have to appologize.

Not really the nameplate might have been missing also but having it made things simpler.

Paul, I have a very similar 1/4 HP GE motor in the shop and L1 and L2 are clearly marked on the circuit board and are indeed connected to the white and black wire. There is no ground screw on my motor so I am glad I looked as I should have looked when I got it but it was wired so I did not check. I found the green wire bare and loose in the connection box. I need to add a connector and ground it to the frame properly.

Thanks for making me look.

Dan

I looked back in some old drawings I made about 40 years ago when I was rewinding small motors as a sideline. For a terminal box similar to yours on a GE motor I had a note that the wire on the top screw had to be long enough to pull out and interchange with the wire on the bottom screw which is the opposite end of the start winding. If the wire going to the bottom screw doesn't connect to the screw but goes through the phenolic board and is soldered on the back then it was sold as a non reversible motor.

If you need it, I could scan the sketch and send it to you.

Many thanks guys. Wired it just as you said and it popped right off!
Pat,
I will be looking for a new motor for this lathe, the old motor is not a foot mount and has a very sketchy mounting system. I just really wanted to see the machine run.
Thank you,
Paul

as with boats ive always thought that abbout cars theyre on rubber tyres and that is an insulator isnt it ??? ;D

Latest posts

Back