Due to the downturn in the economy---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Due to the downturn in the economy, I'm going to build a slinky machine, because I don't have any real work.--And I do have 95% of the material here anyways.
assembly-slinkyplatform-2.jpg

assembly-slinkyplatform-drawing.jpg

column-slinky.jpg

Brian, here you go again, another fine and fun project, this one looks like something that I can do and will try to if I have enough material, again, copy & Paste and file, going to have projects to do for the rest of my life, again thanks for the last one that you just done, you sure good, hope someday to be able to do the same and do as you do so well pass it on, again thanks, will follow this one close, have a great day, Lathe Nut

I have gathered up the bits I need from my "scrounge pile". I see that I will have to make the T shaped main tower in two peices, and I have enough of that horrible 3/4" copper plate left to make a baseplate.
ROUGHINGOUT003.jpg

Brian, you sure have a lot of energy! What's your secret? :bow:

Chuck

Brian is at it again!

Very cool. I like his threads. I didn't quite understand what a slinky machine was until I saw your design. Somewhere I missed the description. Now that I see it and understand... way cool.

Eric

i like that idea, would make a fun display....maybe you're on the path to roomfull of chitty chitty bang bang type mechanical curiosities. Since there is little practice purpose the engines why not make it fun. Time to head back to the lab and do some experimentation of slinky cycle times though - i'm thinking you will need to gear it down further depending on how slow your engines will run

Brian you are just killing me though on making things out of copper plate, we need to get you making a spot welder something where the plate can be put to its proper use (in terms of how bloody expensive it and its electrical properties) ;) :)

Now this might be just one of those it's-3am-and-I-can't-get-back-to-sleep things but, sat here looking at your drawing, the thought occurred that this would be an ideal chance to incorporate the Geneva mechanism into a device.

.... AND I still think you need a Pitman Hand grasping the waggle lever.

Well, thats enough playing for today. Now I have to go and do the things I promised my wife I would do today, since I had no REAL work to do!!! :big: :big:
COLUMNFORSLINKY001.jpg

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it once again----"Damn, I hate machining copper!!!!"--It sticks, it smears, it blows the fuses in my chinese mill, it even makes my old drill press grunt to drill holes in it. When its finished and polished, it looks real pretty, but it surely is a pig to work with.
BASEFINISHED001-1.jpg

Well there!!! Thats enough messing about for today. I made this bearing stand by cutting it out on the bandsaw and finishing it up on my big vertical belt sander. Tomorrow I will take it to the mill to bore the shaft hole and drill and tap the underside for attaching it to my base.
brgstand-slinky001.jpg

Brian,
This is really gonna be interesting.

Where in the world do you get all this energy, and where can I get some??

ksouers said:
Brian,
This is really gonna be interesting.

Where in the world do you get all this energy, and where can I get some??

Ksouers--I've always been this way. Unless I am sick or something, I have always been like a human dynamo. My wife and kids always kid me about being the "Tasmanian Devil"--(the walt Disney one). I am 62 years old, and I still go all out. I really don't know any other way. There is a price to pay though---I suffer from chronic insomnia. When its 3:00 A.M. and I haven't been able to get to sleep yet, and my head is on fire with new ideas, solutions to old problems, and plans for my next big "thing" I would gladly give some of this energy away just to get a good nights sleep.

Can't wait for the video of this one. Great idea!

No work accomplished in the shop today. My 25 year old daughter just moved into a new condo that she purchased, and I spent the day putting together a coffee table, two end tables, a TV stand, two kitchen chairs and repaired a bedroom dresser. Damn, there's a lot of screws in that "put it rogether yourself furniture".

How did you fall for that Brian? I avoid flat pak furniture like the plague.

tel said:
How did you fall for that Brian? I avoid flat pak furniture like the plague.
Hey---If it was for me, it would be put together, delivered, uncrated, and put in place by whoever I bought it from!!! For a 25 year old with enough gumption to finish university, get a great job, and buy her first place on her own, I don't have any trouble helping her out any way I can.

I'm almost ready to start slinkin'. I think Mcgyver may be right--I may have to put a jackshaft between the steam engine and the slinky drive to get it going slow enough to get some good slinky action. I will probably finish the slinky machine tomorrow, unless somebody calls me with real work. Playing with slinky machines is fun, but it doesn't pay very well!!! ::) ::)
ALMOSTREADY003.jpg

Back