Duclos Maveric gearless hit and miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabricator

Reaction score
Hello all this is my first post here, I just found the site and like it very much. I recently found this little engine at a pawn shop of all places. I had no idea what it was at first but I knew I needed it. After a long web search I found out it is the Maveric by Philip Duclos featured as a build in several issues of home shop machinist magizine in the mid 90s. I have a well equipped home shop myself and would like to make it run. Unfortunately at some point in its life it appears to have been dropped and from the pictures I can find it looks like the air intake which had the venturi and needle valve set up was broken off almost flush with the intake valve block. The valve block has a what looks like a lapped spring-loaded atmospheric intake valve. I intend to turn out a brass intake horn, my question is I have no experience with these little engines would like to know if anybody can point me in the right direction for a good way to build the needle valve.

Needle valves are a big problem, until you discover the sewing needle thru a brass spindle trick. It's too much to tell you about, but I'm attaching a link to a download of a carburetor that will show you. This carburetor would probably work for your engine if you decide just to build a new carburetor.---Brian
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4hgamd0f77j711m/JAG_CARBURETOR_IN_INCHES.zip/file

That does look excellent. I think from the pictures I've found this had something like a 1/8" round piece of brass through the intake tube. That must be the problematic type you are talking about. I assume from your reference to a sewing needle you would have a small inlet hole with the needle to seat in it. With any of these methods I assume you need to have a very good piston fit to get enough suction to make the venturi work.

Oh absolutely, the thing is I have no idea who built this engine so I'm going to have to take it apart and check that fit.

Latest posts

Back