Dropped one of my Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quickj

Reaction score
:redface2:

I was running one of my hot-air engines this morning, and I managed to drop it on the floor.
This one has a glass test tube as the displacer cylinder, and of course, it shattered when it hit the floor.

Now I need to find some 15mm (OD) test tubes, figure out a way to cut them to length, polish the cut end, etc.

Since it is all apart right now, I will maybe polish it up before I put it back together.

Oh Well....

:shrug:

Jim in Minnesota

Rotten luck, sorry to hear that

Randy

Some hobby stores carry different size test tubes,even general hobby stores like Hobby Lobby carry them in the kids experiment department.

Just a thought.

I just got my order today. Edmund's Scientific. Not the best prices, but it you want only one, you can get it, and have it quickly.

sorry for your loss. I have had a n engine damaged by accidentally relative . and my son had a friend of the family kind of fall on one. no injuries to the people. but still sad when one of your creations gets badly bent or broken.
Tin

Bummer...Have a look around, there's some comments somewhere about cutting test tubes for the lamina-flow engine. You can rebuild it, better...stronger...faster...

I work with Borosilicate on the torch all the time as a hobby. Cutting tube is easy, you just need to make a scratch using any glassscribe/cutting tool, put a small dab of water on the scratch (spit is fine.) Put your thumbs on either side of the scratch and snap up with your index fingers instead of down with your thumbs. That will stop any accidental stabbing accidents while you snap it off to size. A tile saw will work as well.

Repairing this turned out to be no big deal.

I found that my local Hobby store had 15mm test tubes in a 3 pack.

I had made a holder to mount a Dremel tool to the lathe tool post some time ago, but have never used it because I have a tool post grinder, so I mounted up a Dremel to use for this glass cutting operation.

I used a diamond cut off wheel in the Dremel.

I put the test tube directly in the 3 jaw, clamped lightly. Ran the lathe in reverse, and the Dremel in forward, and cranked the cut off wheel straight thru (Slowly) . Very very smooth cut on the test tube.

I used a diamond file and some crocus cloth to polish the cut end, and put a slight chamfer on the end to make it easier to slip the tube into the o-rings that hold it to the displacer heat sink.

I am going to re-assemble the engine today and give it a test.

Thanks for everyones advice!!

Jim in Minnesota.

Back