DRO remote readout

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Reaction score
Having enjoyed the benefits of DRO vernier scales on my mill they are sometimes a little awkward to read. I thought the little connections on each DRO would allow me to plug in to a readout display but on enquiring with the supplier these displays are only for glass scale systems which he tells me are much more accurate. Further googling revealed that these are serial connections for hooking up to a computer - I have an old but still serviceable laptop which might serve as my read-out display. Can anyone put me wise on this subject in terms of hardware needed to hook up the DRO's to my pc and the software required ?

many thanks

John

Other alternatives:

If you have good soldering skills you could try this:

shumatech

Works with the chinese scales.

or you can just buy one:

Ebay

Brass
That is the same set up I have and I paid more for it than he's offering his. Mine did come with the mounting brackets. Hint... pick up a couple of extra cords with the kit and buy a couple of HF calipers for mounting on your lathe. They work just fine with this kit. Then all you have to do is swap cables and you have the best of both worlds.

I've enjoyed mine, but you'll want to lay in a few extra batteries.

Steve

Thanks guys Its amazing how you can make so much progress so quickly thanks to the internet. Some of your suggestions appear to involve a fair amount of electronics (a subject I have never really trusted - if I cant see how it works then I take some convincing). One solution that has come up is a single axis DRO remote readout unit available for £30 ($60) from http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/ - anyone interested should click on their 'measurement' tag and scroll down to the DRO readout unit. I have ordered just one to try on my Y axis (my existing scale has been rendered unreadable since I have been advised by Bogstandard to turn my mill vice the right way round.

JohnS

John,
I was just about to post that info for you, great minds think alike.

John

Hi John

Have a look at my post in the 'TOOLS' section entitled 'DRO ON THE MILL' that may give you a few ideas.

Cheers

Hi Firebird

Thanks for your message, I must admit I have never ventured into 'Tools' room until I got your response - but thanks for your interest. I seem to have sorted things out with the fitment of a remote DRO readout to my 'Y' axis, in fact I am so pleased with it I have ordered another one to fit on my 'X' axis - such luxury I can now make things to size and put holes in the right places. If you, or any other forum members are interested I will post photos of my installation.

JohnS

JohnS said:
Hi Firebird

Thanks for your message, I must admit I have never ventured into 'Tools' room until I got your response - but thanks for your interest. I seem to have sorted things out with the fitment of a remote DRO readout to my 'Y' axis, in fact I am so pleased with it I have ordered another one to fit on my 'X' axis - such luxury I can now make things to size and put holes in the right places. If you, or any other forum members are interested I will post photos of my installation.

JohnS

John

Please post the photos. I am in the middle of installing the same type of scales to my mill, but haven't decided on the read out yet.

Thanks
Eric

Hi Eric

Thanks for your message - tried to send you a pic but got myself tangled up trying to download the picture. If you send me a pm or e-mail I will send you the photo !

JohnS

Latest posts

Back