DRO for knee mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I understand why the knee cable should be changed. And I thought I was finished setting this up.

"I bet it has taken your machining to another level." I don't know if it's to another level but it sure has lowered my machining time for a given job.

Yeah and no more backlash to worry about with counting hand wheels.

I just thought I would mention those points to make your system last longer. I know with me things are are one off purchase and I cant afford to be buying them twice.
Talking about buying, I fitted a 5 axis readout to my mill last week and a 4 axis readout to the lathe. They have come down in price so much since buying my first one 6-7 years ago.

Dave

The DRO has rotary capability on the 5th axis, but I am using it on the ram as it's a knee mill. This way I can throw the Y number into to the calculator and subtract or add the ram, then put that number back into the Y.

It would be good if they had summing of the Y and B (5th) and the Z and A (4th) but that will come.

I have had a few teething problems with them as they are new out, but the manufacturer is working with me to fix the few little problems. The price was unbelievable and is why I bought them. I only bought the readouts as I have about 13 scales from other sets and ones I have bought cheap on ebay.

I originally contacted them because my Meister XPOS3 lathe readout quit working and after contacting the Meister guys they wanted $390 for a new board. These guys would supply a new 3 axis for $82 and around $50 postage, just goes to show the rip off from Meister. I can buy a brand new XPOS3 direct from China for under $150, so not sure where there price came from, but they lost me as a customer for life.

Dave

Latest posts

Back