Drillpress upgrade

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentwings

Reaction score
I have a mini no name drill press I my hobby room. The quill assembly is so loose it’s not even a joke it’s hard to just pick up a deep center punche mak. Looking in McMaster Carr I see 1/4 20 ball ended set screws. So it might be possible to install three at full up position the three more at the upper end in full down. Adjusting these so the quill tracks straighter would be a great help . I don’t know if it’s worth rebuilding the spindle internals. I just need something better than a hand drill for my hobby needs for now. I’d love to have more machining capability but I just can’t have chips in the carpet I have a cookie sheet with edges under it now so I just vacuum up the small chips my kitty got a stringy aluminum one in her paw. She ran all over the hose playing with it
Byron

Before you get too heavy with modifications, you might want to check the chuck. I have made great improvements to drill presses with better chucks. Also, If the chuck is taper mounted there may be a reason why it isn't centered right.

If your drill press was heavily used, the bearings may be worn; or perhaps they weren't very good bearings to begin with. Also worth checking.

Perhaps there are adjustments already on your machine, so adding more might not be necessary.

I would be interested in pictures of your drill and I would read a thread about your improvement project for it.

--ShopShoe

Before you get too heavy with modifications, you might want to check the chuck. I have made great improvements to drill presses with better chucks. Also, If the chuck is taper mounted there may be a reason why it isn't centered right.

If your drill press was heavily used, the bearings may be worn; or perhaps they weren't very good bearings to begin with. Also worth checking.

Perhaps there are adjustments already on your machine, so adding more might not be necessary.

I would be interested in pictures of your drill and I would read a thread about your improvement project for it.

--ShopShoe
I’ll definitely look it over. I don’t know what shape it’s in. I think it may arrive later today.

I have a mini no name drill press I my hobby room. The quill assembly is so loose it’s not even a joke it’s hard to just pick up a deep center punche mak. Looking in McMaster Carr I see 1/4 20 ball ended set screws. So it might be possible to install three at full up position the three more at the upper end in full down. Adjusting these so the quill tracks straighter would be a great help . I don’t know if it’s worth rebuilding the spindle internals. I just need something better than a hand drill for my hobby needs for now. I’d love to have more machining capability but I just can’t have chips in the carpet I have a cookie sheet with edges under it now so I just vacuum up the small chips my kitty got a stringy aluminum one in her paw. She ran all over the hose playing with it
Byron
I have a Mickey Mouse drill press that the spindle actually runs exceptionally true . Well yesterday I managed to ruin 4 shaft collars I really needed because the dog gone vice couldn’t hold them . I may be able to use them by shining with some very fine sand paper . I don’t know exactly where these came from but so far I haven’t found replacements they are split clamping so the clamp screw heads stick up a little . They aren’t very big with 6 mm bore and 15 mm od. Not everyone makes this size. I think I got them off Amazon but searching orders I haven’t found them . I was hopin I could just turn down some larger one but just holding them almost means making some kind of fixture. If I could get out to the shop I might be able to do this or show my boys what I need but it’s very inconvenient to get out there . I have alternat solutions but still these would have simplified the issue. I even have new vice jaws. I wanted to make a drilled hole just to hold these but as usual I didn’t have a big enough drill for the job. A small bench mill would be great but they are a bit too much money right now.

I’m realy tempted to just redesign the part I’m trying to clamp into a clamping part and just send it to a local machine shop. I can see a couple hundred bucks for some very small parts.
There are sites that will quite a price and delivery . Most are small home shops doing these things so I may go that route . I spent the better part of the day yesterday wrecking these parts so I’m going to try and be more productive today . It’s another cold blustery day so the daily walk is being replaced with some floor exercises . My kitty hsche right idea, she is cured up for afternoon nap .
Byron

I have a Mickey Mouse drill press that the spindle actually runs exceptionally true . Well yesterday I managed to ruin 4 shaft collars I really needed because the dog gone vice couldn’t hold them . I may be able to use them by shining with some very fine sand paper . I don’t know exactly where these came from but so far I haven’t found replacements they are split clamping so the clamp screw heads stick up a little . They aren’t very big with 6 mm bore and 15 mm od. Not everyone makes this size. I think I got them off Amazon but searching orders I haven’t found them . I was hopin I could just turn down some larger one but just holding them almost means making some kind of fixture. If I could get out to the shop I might be able to do this or show my boys what I need but it’s very inconvenient to get out there . I have alternat solutions but still these would have simplified the issue. I even have new vice jaws. I wanted to make a drilled hole just to hold these but as usual I didn’t have a big enough drill for the job. A small bench mill would be great but they are a bit too much money right now.

I’m realy tempted to just redesign the part I’m trying to clamp into a clamping part and just send it to a local machine shop. I can see a couple hundred bucks for some very small parts.
There are sites that will quite a price and delivery . Most are small home shops doing these things so I may go that route . I spent the better part of the day yesterday wrecking these parts so I’m going to try and be more productive today . It’s another cold blustery day so the daily walk is being replaced with some floor exercises . My kitty hsche right idea, she is cured up for afternoon nap .
Byron
I forgot along with the drill press idea. I searched for various rotary table combinations hoping to be able to at least do something with this drill press but I YHINK now that isn’t a good idea . If I had a small bench mil it would be fine . I did a lot of custom stuff in the machine shop with rotary table and tail stock in my time in the shop about the only thing not possible untill cnc became available was cut thread other than tap and die. The little parts on my steamer have 6 mm flat head holes blind cut right to the bottom of the hole so no tap was used they were cnc cut threads
Byron

I think it is probably time you look into a better drill press and chuck, a good chuck is important, I know there not cheap but worth every penny..

I forgot along with the drill press idea. I searched for various rotary table combinations hoping to be able to at least do something with this drill press but I YHINK now that isn’t a good idea . If I had a small bench mil it would be fine . I did a lot of custom stuff in the machine shop with rotary table and tail stock in my time in the shop about the only thing not possible untill cnc became available was cut thread other than tap and die. The little parts on my steamer have 6 mm flat head holes blind cut right to the bottom of the hole so no tap was used they were cnc cut threads
Byron
I really need a whole new machine. Drill press is for drilling holes this one has seen better days . There are bench mills I could squeeze into it’s place. Mills are notorious for making a big mess of chips if need to either incline the work area or put something over the carpet. Removing the carpet is out of scope. I’m checking into small shops in the area I may just have to bite the bullet and send out m small projects there re lots of people that have small home shops that like to do outside work for extra money . I can live with tha if it’s not out of budget .
Byron

I really need a whole new machine. Drill press is for drilling holes this one has seen better days . There are bench mills I could squeeze into it’s place. Mills are notorious for making a big mess of chips if need to either incline the work area or put something over the carpet. Removing the carpet is out of scope. I’m checking into small shops in the area I may just have to bite the bullet and send out m small projects there re lots of people that have small home shops that like to do outside work for extra money . I can live with tha if it’s not out of budget .
Byron
it’s too bad that my son has a shop but it’s just too far away. Even if I pay for gas it’s really a full day for him then I stay over night at his home and return the next day . If I could make the project just a simple machin it and be done it would be ok so I’m looking at that I could just ship or mail small parts and instructions . It’s still unconvinced . If I could dive it would be better but everyone is safer if I don’t drive I’ve already had one stroke driving so it puts every one at risk . I can’t do that. I’ve lost wo friends who had the same issue to mysterious car crashes . The thought of causing a crash because of my hard head ness or really selfish desires just isn’t goingvto happen .
Byron

Byron
There lot you do with a drill press.
I just replaced the motor and add a reversing drum switch.
You buy new drill chuck it not morse taper

Dave

Your right about a milling machine making a big mess they like to send chips flying. .
Quote " I could just ship or mail small parts and instructions . It’s still unconvinced ." I sent you a PM..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back