Drilling with Milling Machine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thegsey

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Warco Major Milling machine which I use for milling but am increasingly using it as a pillar drill too. Is this detrimental to the machine in any way?

The machine in question:
http://www.warco.co.uk/milling-machines/36-major-milling-drilling-machine.html

I would like to know the answer as it will affect my decision to buy a dedicated Pillar Drill or not. I would rather not have to so I can expand the range of jobs with my next purchase but do not want to use the mill and damage it.

Many thanks in advance,

Michael

Hi,

I don't see how using it as a drill would cause any problems at all, after all it is listed as a drilling / milling machine.

Using it as a drill would put less wear and tear on the machine than milling surely?

The only problem I can see is the need to keep changing from one setup to another, that is why a dedicated pillar drill is so useful.

I have a major mill and find it very sturdy but swapping from milling to drilling would be a bit of a pain. :(

Arnak

I think the short answer is no problem - don't worry.

A pillar drill is more convenient and will probably give you more headroom for longer / bigger drills.

As long as you stay within the power of the mill (ie don't habitully overload it with large drills) you are not going to cause the machine to suffer.

I used my minimill as a pillar drill for many years before I finally sprung for a pillar drill (with larger drilling capacity) besides it is quite normal to drill on a milling machine anyway.

Ken

I agree with kens assessment. Drill on a mill but do not mill on a drill. IMHO a drill press aka pillar drill is an extra in the home shop. they are handy for drilling holes that are semi precision. and you do not want to break down a mill setup. I do have a drill press and use it. tin .

Back