Drilling Itty Bitty Holes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shred,
I will send you a length as long as you promise to make the engine for it to fit onto.

John

I have not drilled holes that small but I worked in a shop that drilled 60 ft oil well pipe. I don't know why they made it that way but they drilled it with counter rotation. The chuck turned clock wise and the drill turned counter clockwise. They used high pressure water soluble oil . I once saw they guy pull the spade drill bit out and the water oil shot 50 feet to the celling with very high pressure. Well that does not apply to the small holes but the counter rotation with a lathe running at 2000 and the dremel running at 25000 might work very well. The peck drilling might be hard because of the drill hitting the hole and breaking. I would think that using a dial indicator to show when to go to a light touch when you hit the end of the hole. By the way when the machinist drilled the 60 ft long pipe he was +- .020 concentric or better.

This is a cool micro-drill press not unlike the Cameron, but shop made:

http://www.cameronmicrodrillpress.com/

He used a little Dumore motor, I think. These days a Proxon is a higher quality alternative to the Dremels.

Anywho, I'd love to have one of these little buggers and it seems a cool project. From this thread, it sounds like one should make the press up so the head is easily mounted on the lathe as well.

I would be tempted to mount it to the QCTP rather than the tailstock for greater accurate and versatility--bolt circles can be easy that way and once the lathe is CNC'd that'll be my prefererred method of drilling anyway.

FWIW, you see the little Dumore high speed drill presses fairly frequently on eBay as well if someone wanted to pick one up. Lots of tiny holes in models building!

Best,

BW

Back