Drill Stand Aids

Discussion in 'Machining with Disabilities' started by GailInNM, Dec 21, 2013.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Dec 21, 2013 #1

GailInNM

GailInNM

GailInNM

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

Drill stands are very handy but can be a pain to use. I did a thread about 5 years ago on improving readability. And it made a big improvement in ease of use.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f34/improving-readability-drill-stand-lettering-2976/

Since then I had a stroke and lost a lot of fine motor skills. With my fat fingers I always had problems getting small drills aligned in the stand and now it is much worse. It's really bad when I have to put a short drill in between two longer drills. A tweezer worked well but usually some where on the other side of the shop.

I picked up an inexpensive steel tweezer in the cosmetics department at local store. After cleaning various cutting oil residue off the stand I glued two small super magnets to the stand with epoxy. One magnet would work just as well.

Now the tweezer travels with the drill stand around the shop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To make the drills easier to locate in the bottom hole of the stand, grind a small blunt point on the end of the drill. Don't make it sharp or it will not slide easily while you are trying to locate the hole.
    Gail in NM
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 21, 2013 #2

kuhncw

kuhncw

kuhncw

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Gail, thanks for posting this. Great idea.

Chuck

3. Dec 22, 2013 #3

terryzilla

terryzilla

terryzilla

Gail, Great idea. Sorry to here about your stroke. I had on several years ago. Keep working on you your dexterity. It will better but it will take time and effort.

Terry