Drill bits

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterDRG

Reaction score
I was intrigued to discover the KnKut Step Point drills, which combine a drill with a starter. Do these work well ? My first thought was #great#, but then I wondered about chip clearance once the full drill was cutting. It made me wonder why I hadn't seen them before.

Cheers

Peter

For drilling plate, those would be excellent for my smaller mill.
I love my Dewalt counterbore set. Also kinda pricey and unsharpenable by hand but good tools.

I was intrigued to discover the KnKut Step Point drills, which combine a drill with a starter. Do these work well ? My first thought was #great#, but then I wondered about chip clearance once the full drill was cutting. It made me wonder why I hadn't seen them before.

Cheers

Peter
They resemble cone shape step drills that I believe come in 3 diameters. I have a set of two They work well . Instead of using Silver & Deming type drills I use these. The cone type can be sharpened, easily actually. The flat portion that is the cutting area is honed. The diameter does not change with repeated honings.
I realize that the Kunut drills are not the same thing. I would prefer bullet type split point drills like Vermont American makes over Kunut. Very expensive set of drills, if they are the best drills made then they are worth it.
mike

They resemble cone shape step drills that I believe come in 3 diameters. I have a set of two They work well . Instead of using Silver & Deming type drills I use these. The cone type can be sharpened, easily actually. The flat portion that is the cutting area is honed. The diameter does not change with repeated honings.
I realize that the Kunut drills are not the same thing. I would prefer bullet type split point drills like Vermont American makes over Kunut. Very expensive set of drills, if they are the best drills made then they are worth it.
mike
I have cone drills and have had for many years.

I checked their web site on 12/28/22. At $443.79 for a KnKut 29 piece set 1/16"-1/2" I will will pass on these drills although they may be perfect for other people.

Looks like $443.76 solution to a $39.99 problem
Large drills tend to wander at start. There are inexpensive solutions: Shorter Machine drill or double drilling.

Latest posts

Back