Draftsight users , beware !

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stragenmitsuko

Reaction score
Today I received an email from draftsight :

Therefore, we want to make you aware that DraftSight 2019 for Windows® is offered in paid versions only, and all free versions of DraftSight (2018 or earlier) will cease to run after 12/31/2019.
End quote .

Basicly all draftsight users are f*cked .

When I started using draftsight , I was pleasently surprised about it's resemblance to the old style autocad .
It's ease of use and it's functionality .

I remember thinking , such a great package for free ..... what's the catch ?
Well I guess this is it .
Now that I'm used to it and have several projects in various stages , they'll take it away , forcing me to buy it .
No way , I 'll never give in to this kind of blackmail .

Don't know what to say ; very dissapointed and looking for a different drawing package .

Pat

Any time you use free software you are subject to finding that the company eventually may want paid for their work. Autodesk has Fusion 360 for free to hobbiests and startup companies that make under $100K per year. That too may become a paid subscription but in the meanwhile it is quite a powerful tool for free.

Nanocad has been suggested to me by a couple of friends . I'll give it a go for sure , but I'm a bit worried now that someday thesame will happen . Does it also need an online activation , I don't know . But if it does I guess I won't take any chances .

I want to limitthe drawing time as much as possible . I prefer making chips :) , and don't want to "waste" my time learning how to use software . That is why I liked draftsight som much , it's close ressemblance to autocadR12 , wich I used for decades . The learning curve was limited to a couple of evenings .

So now , back to square 1 I guess .
Oh wel at least I have several months left to make up my mind .
But ,lesson learned , it will have to be something stand alone that doesn't need an internet connection .
Fool me once ....

Back