Drafting linen

Discussion in 'The Break Room' started by rickhann, Feb 13, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Jan 26, 2020 #21

SmithDoor

SmithDoor

SmithDoor

This post #3
    I hope help

Installing program per 2001 (most older program be for 2001 used a 16 bit installer this will install older programs)

For installing copy all files to hard-drive
    Use to install on 64 bit windows SETUP.EXE see files below . for installing AutoCad 95LT, AutoCad 2000LT and Plotupdate2000 (print drive only for AutoCad 2000LT)

AutoCad 95 may show error but still works after installing

AutoCad LT 2000 does not copy all files just copy all files from CD that did not copy the first time installing.

Set Compatabilty to Windows 95 to Windows ME be for installing

For floppy information need need for AutoCad 95LT I copy this AutoCAD 95 floppy folder on the hard-drive and I may a CD most computers today do not have a floppy drive I have one that pugs into a USB port from Amazon.

After Installing AutoCAD LT 2000 some files do not copy , Just copy the files not in AutoCAD LT 2000 files most are dll files

************ NOTE: Set Compatabilty to Windows 95 to Windows ME some time later versions for Is3 and Is5 intallers **********

**** Newer version of windows 10 v1903 and late the PDF printer do not work right just install a PDF printer for internet for works great ***

2. Jan 26, 2020 #22

rickhann

rickhann

rickhann

I guess I am being picky, but my recollection was that blue lines on white background were called "Blue Line" prints. "Blue Prints" were white lines on a blue background. I think blue prints were the predecessor to blue line prints.
    Rick

3. Jan 27, 2020 #23

ALEX1952

ALEX1952

ALEX1952

I apologize for going off topic slightly, I started my apprenticeship at CAV's (lucas) which occupied the old Shorts seaplane works, I had a job that required ally sheet and was told to go and get some from the "tunnels" which were used as storage ( napolionic tunnels connecting the river with forts some miles away) anyway I found complete sheets of ally painted on one side in white with the drawings full size of parts and assembly's for the Sunderland flying boat. At the time they were creating the RAF museum at Hendon and I asked for them to be donated which was denied by the blinkered powers that be, and are now all gone which is a tragedy. I don't no why they were on ally perhaps because of fire as it was wartime or maybe durability.

BIGTREV likes this.
  4. Jan 28, 2020 #24

Brian Hutchings

Brian Hutchings

Brian Hutchings

A retired aerospace Quality Manager
    Very sorry to hear about that Alex.
    The sheets of aluminium were called lofts at Rolls-Royce Aero and were used to print full sized shapes of complex component shapes. The shapes could then be cut out and used as templates to check contours.
    The word 'lofts' comes from the practice of old shipbuilders drawing out full sized shapes on the largest area available which was the sail loft.
    Brian

5. Jan 28, 2020 #25

LorenOtto

LorenOtto

LorenOtto

Active Member HMEM Supporter

You are correct, but generally people refer to most drawings as "blue Prints" no matter what the medium. My experience started at Douglas Aircraft in 1965 as a draftsman using pencil on vellum and progressed to pencil on mylar prior to the company using cad drawings in the late 60's.

6. Feb 6, 2020 #26

stevehigg

stevehigg

stevehigg

I have most of a full roll at home in a cupboard, I picked it up in the late 80's after cleaning out an old drafting office. Its Alliance Brand Tracing Cloth British made Hall and Harding

7. Feb 6, 2020 #27

stevehigg

stevehigg

stevehigg

I have most of a roll. I took a few feet off to look at it and washed the wax off to see the cloth. Its a 20yrd x 32' Alliance Brand Tracing Cloth British Made by Hall Harding. I pick it up after cleaning out an old drafting office I work at in the late 80's. New Zealand

Attached Files:

8. Feb 6, 2020 #28

SmithDoor

SmithDoor

SmithDoor

Drafting linen just did not work for blue prints.

When need lay paper I used white paper that came on 36" roll from school supply. It was very durable over drafting paper.

Dave

9. Feb 6, 2020 #29

stevehigg

stevehigg

stevehigg

dunno what it’s worth but I won’t use it. I also have the ink pens with nibs they used on this paper Graphos set and nibs

Attached Files:

10. Feb 6, 2020 #30

SmithDoor

SmithDoor

SmithDoor

At the end I was ball point pens.
    Even found ball point to fit my Leroy lettering set.

I do not mis ink sets

Dave

11. Feb 7, 2020 #31

nel2lar

nel2lar

nel2lar

Retired Printing
    There are so many things I miss about the way we made things happen years ago. A young lady that work with the company I spent most of my career at did all the certificates with all that stylish writing . She did some amazing work and it looked so good.
    Thanks for the memories.
    Nelson

12. Feb 7, 2020 #32

comstock-friend

comstock-friend

comstock-friend

Retired
    When Lockheed bailed out of Burbank, my Dad went dumpster diving and saved around 20 P-38 inked linen and pencil on vellum drawings. Unless they were adapt at writing backwards, the ink is on the gloss side!

John

20180809_150512.jpg
    20180809_150750.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted