Don't use your car for your prints.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B

Reaction score
I just stumbled on this site a few days ago and had to join.

I made a HUGE error several years ago and I remember it as if it was yesterday. I had bought a 'ready to machine' casting kit for a steam engine. I had my lathe and mill in my garage next to the wall in order to make room for my car. I had used the car trunk lid repeatedly to set my prints on while I used my tools. One night it was late when I called it a night and left my prints sitting on the car. The next morning I drove off with the prints still there. I didn't see them fly off on my way to work.

I tore my shop apart looking for those prints - of course they weren't there to be found. :( It was only after several hours of remembering that I came to the conclusion that I left them on the trunk lid. :( I still have the casting kit partly finished. I reckon I can guesstimate the the rest of the dimensions and make it work. Of course it would be nice to still have the prints. Then maybe someone has the same kit and I can bum a few numbers... :-[

IF you use your car to hold prints, just make sure you put them away at the end of the day... I guess the reason I haven't finished it is to remind me of how forgetful I was years ago.

Know the feeling. Once spent the best part of a shed session looking for my glasses...... you can guess exactly where they were......
yours
peter

re: glasses... uncanny... me too... more than once...

take care,
tom in MA

Welcome Dan....so what sort of a casting kit was it? Have you checked to see if the supplier may be willing to send you replacement prints?

Regards,
Bill

Dan it could be worse, I have a friend who is a doctor (retired) Many years ago he was in a rush, came out of a patients house &put her patient notes on the top of his car opened the car door & drove off, Horror when he looked in the rear view mirror & observed the notes scattered along the road

fortunately by enlisting the aid of the strret sweeper, he was able to retrieve all the notes Imagine if he had not managed to catch all the confidential papers ! :-[

peatoluser said:
Know the feeling. Once spent the best part of a shed session looking for my glasses...... you can guess exactly where they were......
yours
peter

It's not the first time I've done something stupid. :( Once I parked my car in the garage, went directly to my toolbox to grab a screwdriver and dropped the car keys in the toolbox drawer (screwdrivers have their own drawer) and went and started working on what ever it was that needed working on. At some point during the process I closed the drawer with the keys still inside. I had to call a locksmith to make me a new key to my car. :mad: It was some weeks later I found the lost car key in the screwdriver drawer. :-[ Now when ever I park my Mustang in the shop, the car keys go into the screwdriver drawer as a reminder for me never to do it again.

b.lindsey said:
Welcome Dan....so what sort of a casting kit was it? Have you checked to see if the supplier may be willing to send you replacement prints?

Regards,
Bill
[/quote

The castings kit was/is a PMI kit. They still run adds in HSM and Live Steam with the model displayed in their ad. I just haven't had the time to call and explain my problem to them. Maybe a touch of embarrassment on my part.

There is really only one dimension I could use the numbers on - drilling/machining the cylinder for the steam passages. And I think I could figure it out with a few hours time and a few pieces of paper. It's just not on the top of the list of things to do right now.

First thing today is to finish the solar powered utility trailer my brother needs help on.

I did the same with a lever arch file of documents as i left the office rushing to catch a plane. Fortunately with deft footwork I managed to recover most of them, no injury but to my pride; it was rush hour.

Ian

I am a retired Police Officer and a colleague of mine did exactly the same thing whilst on the top floor of a multi storey car park.Prosecution files fluttered all over town. A lot of people are possibly still expecting summonses to drop through the door,but they never will :big:

Hi All

Back about 1971 while livine in Rexdale Ontario I had occasion to take my RC airplane and transmitter to work with me. This airplane had a 60" wingspan and the wings were removable so this meant 3 pieces.I carried them down from the apartment and that went fine. When I got to the car I needed 3 hands and only had 2 so I layed the transmitter on the roof of the car then proceeded to put the 2 pieces from the airplane into the car. Now I drove off to work (city driving) a distance of several miles. When I arrived at work I turned and reached for the transmitter on the seat beside me. It wasn't there. Then it struck me, I left it laying on the roof of the car. I am all set to back trace my route and probably find a flattened RC transmitter. Before I do I figure that I better have a look on the roof just in case. There laying exactly where I had layed it was my RC transmitter. Phil Kraft in his wisdom when he designed the transmitter placed 4 small rubber feet in the back and the bottom of the transmitter case. Those feet kept the transmitter stuck to the roof just like glue.

Cheers :)

Don

talking of transmitters........

i guy from a heli forum sent me a PM and said he was over my way in month on business ( he lives in Florida). is there any chance he could have a fly where i fly. i said ok, so it was all arranged. but the thing was he wasn't going to England from Florida, he was going to Germany. he got a plane from Florida on friday, arrived in Germany Saturday morning hired a car, then drove from Germany to Surrey England with his heli and all. finally got to my place about 7pm saturday night. that's when we fond out his transmitter was still in Germany.

not a problem, set his heli up on my Tx. we then went flying Sunday 10am. by 2am he left for Germany. got back to his hotel about midnight to find his Tx still on the bed. and whats more he had brought the wrong Tx with him.

so to sum up...... 20 odd hours of traveling to go flying for 4 hours, only to find out you have left your Tx best part of 4000 miles away.

now that's devotion :bow:

Back