Does longer lathe ways have any disadvantage

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Hacklordsniper.

Thanks for the photos, the lathe looks great and I am oozing with envy. A nice sturdy, heavily built and well made machine. Its Colchester heritage is obvious.

It's also good to see the proper efforts some Chinese manufacturers make to clean out gearbox castings before assembly, as they usually always have done on their industrial rated lathes. A far cry from the staggeringly appalling new Warco 1330 that I bought.

Your bandsaw is just about identical to mine. As I mentioned a couple of months ago, the ones with a diagonally mounted hydraulic ram have a rather badly mounted backstop guide bar. The guide bar was intended to be mounted in the place that they have put the bottom of the ram.

I plan to extend the ram mounting to include the backstop guide bar. So that lengths of steal can be quickly pushed up to the backstop without the risk of bending or loosening the guide bar, or possibly breaking the thinner casting through which it is currently fitted, like yours.

I am sure you will, but it is also worth removing the worm and wheel gearbox cover to check the cleanliness of the internals and the lubricant. Mine was pretty bad and was thoroughly cleaned and refilled with EP90 gear oil.

I also extended the slot in the casting of the adjustable blade guide, the longer one furthest away from the motor. This was so the distance between the blade guides could be reduced when cutting smaller bar. Some versions of these saws do have a longer slot allowing closer adjustment.

Although the blade on my saw is pulled slightly off square when the guide is moved through its full travel, it doesn't appear to cause much of a problem on the cut metal. I also have the smaller version of this bandsaw which does the same, but I used it for years before I finally checked and noticed it.

As Swifty says, hydraulic oil is widely used in lathe headstocks, and without problems. I did however, once try hydraulic oil in my lathes headstock but then quickly removed it when I noticed it just frothed up excessively almost instantly. It was ISO 68 I used though, so it may have not been the most suitable grade. I refilled with light gear oil of 75-80 weight which has worked fine.

All the best.

Thank you for all nice comments. The blade guide can surely be extended and the original one has enough leftover to be milled, but wondering will it help? I allready cut 10 mm stock on the bandsaw and i had no problems.

I drained the oil from worm gear and checked it now. I didnt think about it before because its not in such priority list like lathe. There was nothing bad in there, but good thing to check. Not sure howmuch oil to refill now?

IMG_3421.JPG

Semms there is a problem to be found sometimes. The manufacturer made a mistake and mounted wrong QCTP to my machine, it is too small for swing of my lathe. So im packing the toolpost and 14 tool holders and sending them back to China, and they will send me a new larger QCTP. Guess no turning will be done for next month or so...

Hello.

Your saw gearbox seems quite clean. Mine contained a foul thick paste like goo with traces of sand. Mine also had a badly formed washer with an oversize centre hole fitted under the bolt that holds on the bronze worm wheel.

The reason I extended the adjusting slot in the blade guide bracket was because bringing the two blade roller guides as close together as possible holds the blade more rigidly. This keeps the blade cutting squarer for longer as it wears, particularly on thick flat bar gripped vertically in the vice, as well as lengths of angle.

It's a shame about your lathe toolpost, I would be very impatient to do a bit of machining as soon as possible. I was hoping to see maybe a video of the lathe running soon.

The lathe came with TOOE5 and proper one is TOOB2.

Yes it is a multifix clone. I just packed all the holders and toolpost, it will be quite an expensive shipping package. Manufacturer was honest and said if returning this toolposts will be too high charge for us, to leave them as "free spares". But i dont want to keep something i did not pay for, so i will send them in monday.

It's not uncommon to have shipping costs much higher than the value of the part. The manufacturer's mistake will be fixed and he is offering you the old parts as compensation for the inconvenience.

It's the new world of low cost parts and high cost shipping. I would keep the parts as spares even if only a portion of them will fit the larger holder.

With your new machines you can make a taller holder.... you have options and the manufacturer is offering you his goodwill.

Hello,

thank you for nice comments. I shipped the wrong QCTP and holders back, the package was little more than 20 kg. They are worth about 650 $ (in China) so i guess the price of shipping is still small compared to value

Latest posts

Back