Does D Bit Drill Do Straight Deep Holes?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mordecai

Reaction score
Hello my friends, i would like to know more about the D bits and can anyone help me? I need to drill a long straight and concentric 16" hole and the best way, as you may already know, is the famous gun drill. however, I was looking for a cheaper alternative to carry out the process (many will say that the gun drill is very cheap and viable, of course, for those who live in Uncle Sam's land. In my country, the dollar is worth five times our currency, apart from the import tax that charges 60% and the freight. It's not feasible) and I heard about the D bits. But some say it sticks and others say it doesn't. after all, does the D bit make a nice deep hole or not? best wishes to all

D bits work very well and stay straight due to there rigidity, having no flutes. This is where you will run into problems with a deep hole, there is nowhere for the chips to go, you will have to withdraw the bit frequently to clear them. I suppose it may work, but you may loose the will to live in the process.

D bits work very well and stay straight due to there rigidity, having no flutes. This is where you will run into problems with a deep hole, there is nowhere for the chips to go, you will have to withdraw the bit frequently to clear them. I suppose it may work, but you may loose the will to live in the process.
thanks friend for your reply. May God enlighten you! Do you have any literature that you can point me to, that addresses the topic of deep holes with D bit. Or do you have a drawing?

Find attached the actual design of a D bit for drilling a hole in a 30" long rifle blank for a .30 calibre projectile. Using the basics of the design you should be able to resize the dimensions to suit what you require. I hope this will be of some help to you.

Regards

David

Attachments

• 20220306_D Drill Design.pdf
    73.4 KB · Views: 257
Encontre anexado o projeto real de uma broca D para perfurar um buraco em um rifle de 30" de comprimento para um projétil de calibre .30. Usando o básico do projeto, você deve ser capaz de redimensionar as dimensões para atender ao que você precisa. Espero que isso será de alguma ajuda para você.

Cumprimentos

Davi
[/CITAR]
Thanks, David

Back