Does anyone recognise this as an engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thad Swarfburn III

Reaction score
Was at a neighbour's today and spotted this in his garden. After seeing me drool over it, he gave it to me. Appears to be flywheel and beam of an old engine. Flywheel is about 210mm across (8 inches). Needless to say, there are no casting marks anywhere. Any ideas? EDIT - two photos added

Last edited:
This might have been used to operate a reciprocating pump, such as a small water supply pump.

That's my best guess.

Chuck

Interesting to note that the flywheel has a round profile, so I don't think it would be useful for driving off of. And if the machine was designed to be driven by another power source, would it have a flywheel?

Looking at that flywheel, my best guess is that whatever it was, it was hand driven by that 'flywheel'. The profile and design just make me think it's a handwheel. Really cool thing though and you should be able to convert it to an engine of some sort.

Looking at that flywheel, my best guess is that whatever it was, it was hand driven by that 'flywheel'. The profile and design just make me think it's a handwheel. Really cool thing though and you should be able to convert it to an engine of some sort.

I'd guess the same, but you'd want a crank handle if you were to do more than a couple of minutes' work with it, and there's no boss or tapped hole for one. It would be a good surface to grab onto if you had to knock an engine over centre.

It's also too heavy to be a toy engine, but has simple bearings with oil holes drilled in the castings, so it's hard to believe it's deigned for much serious work. Odd.

Looks like there is a shaft on the opposite side to the large gear which suggests the output speed may have been geared up and taken from a (now missing) pulley on that shaft.

On the other hand if it used an external power source to drive the pully then the action of the beam would have been reduced. The Diamond shaped beam is often found on rigs that drove pump jacks where a slow up/down movement was needed.

http://www.archive.org/stream/internationalhar00inte#page/28/mode/2up

Looks like there is a shaft on the opposite side to the large gear which suggests the output speed may have been geared up and taken from a (now missing) pulley on that shaft.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense now that you say it. So it's very likely an engine.

Edit - Also looks like you're active on two different forums ;)

Last edited:
Possibly but I think second option is more likely it would have been driven by an engine or maybe even a hand crank on the shaft

My guess it's is something that was bolted to a bench and treadle operated with the wheel being a handwheel to start/stop and control whatever was connected to the reduced speed output. Whatever it was it looks like it would convert nicely to a beam engine.

In my opinion, it is a beam engine.
for the small shaft to be driving the flywheel makes no sense.
if the small shaft is driving the larger the gear ratio would be the opposite.
the flywheel is the small gear driving a larger gear on an output shaft.
It would not be producing much power for the size if the output shaft though.
my guess
Steve

Could be an old "farm engine". There were a lot of them around in the '20's and '30's to drive things like milking machines. No casting marks
or names on them. Bought by the local blacksmith as a set of castings and machined up with his machine tools in the local forge. I aquired
an exposed crank horizontal water cooled atmospheric inlet cammed exhaust valved engine of about 1920 vintage that again had no makers name
on it. Will restore it one day, retirement project No 89. Have also aquired a "Romac" swash plate 6 cylinder air compressor of about the same
vintage. Gona restore that as well, one day, No. 90. She who must be obeyed has warned me " No more "junk" please, or else.

When I look at that I see parts that are akin to my old apple cider press/grinder. On my machine the small shaft is the input with a hand crank that spins up the flywheel shaft to a higher speed which drives the grinder . If you do a search on antique cider presses you will find many of that configuration.

That said, having an offset crank driving the walking beam I more go with some kind of a pump or stamping foot/press.

The press in this link, https://www.myeasternshoremd.com/ne...cle_c1871457-0b83-587d-9b11-bee3bbddc64c.html , shows the input crank big and small gear and the flywheel.

lg
no neat sig line

Last edited:
It would have been used for a slow speed application.
If it where for or part of an engine, it would have Babbitt bearings with oilers or grease cups.
Also it is rather lightly made to with stand engine running pulses.
There appears to be a part missing on the shaft of the larger gear. It looks like a white metal or an oxidized metal of some-sort.
The mounting is light weight.
Very neat piece! You could make it into a very interesting engine, Stirling would be a unusual and unique piece.
Good luck

Well at least I got the hand crank bit right, doubt I would have ever got the use:)

You guys are absolute legends, thank you so much! Cool that it shares the Starrett history, that's a great tie-in.

Can't see myself rebuilding it as a food chopper but it may eventually turn again as a primitive beam engine.

The internet wins again.

I was reading and about to post food chopper when I got to Ray's post (#15).

These are still used (and collected) in Amish farm country.

Not an engine but very nice find, Thad!

Gil

Back