DoAll Bandsaw for Brian

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked with my local bearing supply house, and they have the bearings for my motor in stock for $12.75 each. I've watched a couple of Youtube videos on changing motor bearings, and it looks pretty darn simple. I will wait and see if the company I bought the used bandsaw from is going to replace the motor ---if they do I will drive to Toronto and exchange it. If they don't I will change the bearings on my current seized motor.---wilray---If you are right I will discover it when I disassemble the motor to get the old bearings off.

This is turning into a very strange voyage. The motor was seized--I could not turn the pulley by hand. I just separated the three main segments of the motor, and the bearings are fine!! There are no score nor gouge marks on the stator nor on the windings. Everything in the motor is filthy dirty, like you would expect to see on an old used motor. I will blow all the dirt out with compressed air, then inspect and reassemble, watching for the motor shaft to start binding again.

Curiosity killed the cat.---I had to tear that motor down to it's four main components and see what in heck was going on. As I expected, it was very filthy inside full of dirt that's been collecting since 1960 when that model was built.---but---I seen nothing inside that motor that would explain why it was seized. I washed away all the dirt, blew everything dry, then greased the bearings and reassembled it. Now the shaft turns with no effort at all. I checked the stator and the field windings for damage, but there was none. I was going to wire the motor up and try it now, but I simply ran out of gas and had to quit for the day.---That happens when you're seventy five. Ah well, I'll give it hell tomorrow!!!

Brian, it could just have been all the dirt that was in there, got knocked loose in the move and the little run you did was enough for it to lock up the motor, I have had it happen before in an old table saw I bought.
Cheers
Andrew

Indeed , most likely some piece of dirt got knocked loose during transport and acted as a wedge somehow and seized the motor .
Brian I'm kinda surprised that a handy fellow like you at your age has never taken a motor apart .

This is the first three phase motor I have dealt with. It is amazingly different inside, no commutator nor brushes. It came apart fine, though terribly dirty inside, and seized up tight.. It went back together very easily, and thoroughly cleaned and totally freed up. I seen nothing that would have made it seize up, and there were no broken fins nor score marks inside the engine.

Will do Bill. --- And we all lived happily ever after!! I tore the motor down, washed away 60 years of accumulated dirt, inspected everything, greased the bearings, and reassembled it. It runs like a race horse. I never did see anything that looked like it might have jambed in there. Motor is back on saw, and works beautifully. VFD is doing everything it was supposed to. HURRAY!!!

If you have anyone that has a bandsaw welder in your area , you should look into the price of a roll of blade . Alot of times a rool will cost you what you might pay for 3-5 made blades
animal

Brian, It would have just been the dust, It would have balled up between the armature and stator, there is not much clearance between the two, it would have been disturbed when removing and in disassembly
Cheers
Andrew

Will do Bill. --- And we all lived happily ever after!! I tore the motor down, washed away 60 years of accumulated dirt, inspected everything, greased the bearings, and reassembled it. It runs like a race horse. I never did see anything that looked like it might have jambed in there. Motor is back on saw, and works beautifully. VFD is doing everything it was supposed to. HURRAY!!!
Brian: this is good news, enjoy your latest toy and pass on the 'Cutting" Experience. Ha Ha Sounds like you struck Gold.

Yeahhhhh---I just cut my first piece of metal with my new bandsaw!!! Picked up a new blade at lunchtime, rushed home and installed it, and immediately grabbed a piece of mild steel and cut it. It works like a charm. I am so impressed.---Now I can sell my smaller, converted wood bandsaw that I added a jackshaft and a couple more pulleys to to slow the blade down for cutting metal for $200. It works really well, but you can't lean on the feed to heavily or the belt drive slips a little bit.

Latest posts

Back