Do you have to use high tensile bolts in mill clamps?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spuddevans said:
Thanks guys, ...............
I've read that before on this forum, I've been trying to get the bolt as close to the workpiece as poss', and have also found that having a packing piece as close as poss' to the same height as the workpiece gives a much better grip. ( I know that this is something that's obvious and automatic to you guys, but this is all a learning experience to me ;) ;) )
Tim
Hi Tim You want the packing piece slightly higher (just a smidgen) than the work piece. You need to insure that the tip of the clamp piece is gripping on the workpiece. If you are using the stepped clamping kits one step will do it.
Regards,
Gerald

steamboatmodel said:
Hi Tim You want the packing piece slightly higher (just a smidgen) than the work piece. You need to insure that the tip of the clamp piece is gripping on the workpiece. If you are using the stepped clamping kits one step will do it.
Regards,
Gerald

Thanks for that correction Gerald, I'll keep that in mind.

Gee, where would I be without all the great advice and info found on this forum? I think I'd be whayyyyy less competent and able than I am now. ( not that I'm all that good at the moment, but I'm willing to learn from anyone who'll teach me )

Tim

Back