Do not put water into molten metal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d.bick

Reaction score
Home foundry safety
All these videos of molten metal flying around on this site reminds me of a time when I was melting lead for some turnout (switches) weights for a 7 1/4” gauge railway. I always wrap up well when pouring any molten metal. I being a long suffering welder have access to all of the protective gear one needs for foundry work, flame retardant overalls, full face visor with helmet, thick leather gloves, the full works, any way back to melting the lead. I had a pot which was some 6” diameter x 6” high and nearly full of molten lead I added one last bit of old lead pipe BANG WHOOSH and the pot was empty in a split second. It rained lead all over and me and the surrounding area.No harm done the protective gear did its job.
What I had done was introduced a small amount of water to the melt which had flashed into steam.
This happened to me again some years later, which just goes to prove you can still get caught out. This time it was scrap brass from a local plumber. I usually strip the old taps of rubber and the like, but on closer inspection a small water trap exists in the tap.
What have I learned is pre heating your scrap metal on top of the furnace or in the open flame should get rid of damp and take away the thermal shock you may introduce into the molten metal. And always wear the safety clothing.

A local Aluminium scrap refiners was totally flattened and two guys killed when they put a skip of wet scrap into a furnace.
The death toll would have been higher if not for the fact they were working on nights.
Keep safe Dave Bick

DSC09778.JPG

I was melting lead for the Linotype machine. About 800 lb pot. piled the old lead in and somewhere was a flattened paper coffee cup. Blew the door off and sprayed the room. Choise words from the printers devil to everyone on Monday morning.

Important tip. Thanks.

Ive been casting for years and when I saw the heading I thought..thats stating the obvious a little... then I read the text.... good point.

Ive never had the issue of molten splatter but I guess Ive been a little anal when safety is concerned. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Last year was a very HOT one over here and I was casting in summer... took me 15 minutes to 'dress and undress', plus work time and I was wringing wet with perspiration... put all dangerous stuff away and rehydrated... gotta love that new midstrength Victoria Bitter..... :bow:

Artie said:
Ive never had the issue of molten splatter but I guess Ive been a little anal when safety is concerned. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

I have, and I got the skin grafts to prove it. One Sunday morning a few years back - running so parts early before going into town. Parts ran with no trouble, grabbed the ingot mould to run off the rest and ...BANG! Moisture present in the form of frost and while I did sit the mould on the furnace for a while, it was obviously not long enough.

watchband.jpg

Tel
I’am truly sorry to hear you were not as fortunate as me. But hopefully others may not be caught out by this hidden danger. Like me I’am sure it has not put you off casting
All the best Dave Bick

Ah damn... Sorry mate thats not a good result. Hope there is no long term impairment.

Safety is something we all tend to take for granted once in a while. My 'Kit' is a baseball hat on backwards (back of neck cover), wrap-around safety glasses, full face shield, long sleeve heavy shirt (no nylon or rayon), long heavy trousers (denim) gaiters over ankles to stop boots filling, heavy leather work boots, long leather gloves and leather apron.

In winter this is ok to work in, but a bit of my pouring occurs in summer as well. THAT is a problem as almost all of its got to come off tween pours.....

However I have not a single scar from casting to show you. My foundry is well over 20 years old so its not as if it hasnt had the chance to 'bite' me...

Ive spoken to one member on here about this but does any one want to see a casting thread? Just to revisit the process or to show new guys how it occurs? Im about to start on the plug for my cyclinder(s) and thought I might take piccies as I go.... this is a bronze casting.

My initial conversation with another member was concerning casting iron, but on closer inspection my old foundry really is no longer up to it. Brass/bronze is about her limit until I do another.

Cheers

Artie

Artie said:
does any one want to see a casting thread? Just to revisit the process or to show new guys how it occurs?

YES!

It's all a part of making an engine as far as I'm concerned. And there can't be too many threads about a subject. Always something to learn.

I many never cast...but I want to learn about it. You never know...

Artie

Another "Yes, please" to a casting thread. I'm with Zee on this one (as scary as THAT may be..... ;D) lot's to learn even if I never do get a foundry going.

Joe

Artie,
Here's another vote for the thread. Brass/Bronze will be just fine.
Dennis

Another yes please.

I would like to try casting ali before the end of 2010 and the more info I can read about it before hand the better.

Thanks Phil.... you are dealing with a semi illiterate computer operator here folks... patience required... 8)

Artie

Back