Do additive machining blunders count?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddmckee54

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
If additive machining, 3D printing, blunders count, then I've got one for your amusement.

I was printing a replacement part for one of the R/C conversions I was working on, and the part was about 1/2mm too long. Went into the 3D CAD, shortened the part by 1/2mm, saved the file, and reprinted the part.(Remember that, I SAVED the file!) It was still too long, Oh well, I guess the calibrated Mk.I eyeball was a little off. I shortened the part another 1/2mm, rinse and repeat. It was still too long.

I repeated this a couple more times and the part kept coming out long. By now I'm starting to think the 3D CAD software is screwing up somewhere, so I 'm off down that rabbit hole for a while.

Finally it dawned on me, I had SAVED the CAD file every time that I had updated it, but I had NEVER updated the STL file for the slicing software. By now the part was about 4mm too short.

So if additive machining blunders and boo-boos count, I think this one qualifies.

Don

Last edited:
All I can say is, I am glad it wasn't my mistake, and have a good chuckle on your befalf.

Yeah, fortunately is was a small part and only took 15-20 minutes to print. I would have been REAL unhappy it the part took hours to print.

Don

Back