DM Italia Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmac

Reaction score
I will be going to see a lathe for sale this weekend (claimed to be new) and wonder if anyone here has had experience or knowledge of the following company and lathe model;

DM Italia S.r.l.
Model Bench lathe BV20L1 560mm between centers

http://www.dmitaliasrl.com/co.uk/products/lathe_bv20l1.php

It seems to be a mix between the 9x20 and 10x22 Chinese lathes. I'm not sure if the DM Italia is Italian designed and fabricated, or just another rebadged Chinese lathe. Despite being almost a 10x22 it only weighs in at 287 lbs compared to the 10x18 and 9x20's that weigh almost 100lbs more. The lower weight appeals, making it more "benchtop and portable" but how rigid is it.

Not sure how it got to Canada, I've never seen the brand here. Also not confident parts would be available - either from DM Italia in Italy (for a rational price anyway) or from suppliers of the Chinese lathes in North America (parts interchangeability with BusyBee, Grizzly etc.)

Any input much appreciated.

Cheers
Garry

Looks like a well tooled capable hobby machine. If I were lathe shopping I would give a good look. I do notice the motor is speced for 50 Hz. IIRC North America is 60HZ not shure if that is a problem.
Tin

From DM Italia S.l.r. website: "DM ITALY Srl manufactures its products abroad", so it´s an Italian-designed (sort of...), Chinese machine. If the voltage for the motor is like it should, the 50/60 Hz thing might cause it to spin a little faster (20%) in the U.S.

It's a chinese machine.
DM imports them, perhaps paints them too, anything else...

however the BV20 is an old, widespread design, so find parts would not be a problem
there are better machines, it all depends on price, if it's a bargain get it, otherwise try again

Hi Garry

I have a BV20 Asian lathe 2001 model imported by Axminster tools here in the UK bought it just over a year ago it appears to be made a bit better than the average Asian lathe. The fit and finish of the vital parts is of a higher standard than the other makes of Asian lathes i have seen.What i like about it is the geared head makes easy speed selection. What i did not like about it was the bottom speed of 170 RPM a little bit fast for screwcutting easily fixed by changing both pulleys which i have done i now have a bottom speed of 50 RPM much better in all i find the BV20
a dependable workhorse.

Cheers Paul

Guys,

I had a BV20 before my current lathe and I found it to be a good small machine.

One thing to watch out for is the bed not being hardened; so it is very easy to damage the ways.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks everyone for your input! I was scheduled to look at the lathe this weekend but riding 4 hours one way by motorcycle to look at and road test three motorcycles pooped me out. By the time I made it over to see the lathe - no one was home...serves me right! Reschedule.....

As Ariz indicated - it depends on price. I don't know how much tooling it comes with but the asking price is very close to the price of BusyBee's 10x18 (without tooling).

I'll keep you posted - thanks again for the help.

Cheers
Garry

Latest posts

Back