DIY Tool Maker's Chest

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 6 year old Fishing Tackle Box cum Poor Man's ToolMaker Chest life was cut short by excessive vibration while manually activating the ''Hitting & Missing'' mechanism of the Rupnow H&M I.C.Engine. Was about to put on Governor to auto operate the H&M.Perhaps Gus did put on too much rpm.

Tried to buy another Tackle Box to no avail. It is out of fashion.
Was toying with the idea of DIY my very ownToolMaker's Chest. So this is timely.

Sketch done to get B.O.M. aka bill of material for cut to size plywood.
Gus's carpentry skills not world best. However to try producing a ''lookable/passable'' but functional ToolMaker's Chest with ''Formica''.

Meanwhile please look at my dead tool box.Condolence is welcomed.

IMG_0451.jpg

Gus, you must have been putting a lot of revs into that engine to break your toolbox. Look on the bright side, you can put your skills to use building a new tool chest.

Paul.

Went shopping for custom size cut 16mm plywood.
Supposed to make a Traditional ToolMaker's Chest but will end up with a plywood version of the Steel Tool Cabinet.
Will buy cut to size material for drawers tomorrow. The sub-divison pockets will be tough to make and please.
The top tray will have sub-divisions for punches,taps, dies ,dividers,spotting drills etc. for easy retrieve.
Frame was done in an hour with cordless drill and screwdriver.

IMG_0456.jpg

Looking Forward to seeing this as its built, I could use one of these but cant bring myself to buy one.

Looking Forward to seeing this as its built, I could use one of these but cant bring myself to buy one.

Hi Chris,

Are you a Solar Panel Enthusiat?
Planning to put one panel on my 28 ' Albin just charge batteries. How good or bad are the MIC panels.MIC aka Made In China.

Latest. Got the frame done and now sizing up drawers.

Hi Chris,

Are you a Solar Panel Enthusiat?
Planning to put one panel on my 28 ' Albin just charge batteries. How good or bad are the MIC panels.MIC aka Made In China.

Latest. Got the frame done and now sizing up drawers.

Yes I am actually. I cant speak on quality of those to be honest, I make my own (but i havent done anything with them sadly) In order to hook up to a house they need to pass UL/CL specs and a bunch of other regulations. But for "emergency" back up they would be quite fine (ie Charging a battery in your case). Ive been meaning to use them to light up the yard at night..

I buy the cells off of ebay. You can pick a 100W Panel up for about $130. 36 Cells cost around 40-50 bucks. OSB or Plywood should cost another $20. They are also very delicate (Think thinner than paper!)

Reactions: gus
If it would work you could use the plastic trays from your old box for dividers in the drawer of your new box. Maybe cut the plastic down to fit the new drawers or put one or two dividers in the new drawers to hold the plastic trays.

Glad to hear you're still adapting and overcoming your shop problems, Gus. My absence from the forum has been due to a spark with an old love by the name of wood working. I say do what you can with the wood. I took about a ten year hiatus from wood working just because metal interests me more. However, during the last few months I've began a new romance with it. Not that I have more fun with wood than I do with metal, but 1: I seem to be more naturally adept at manipulating wood (or maybe it's just more forgiving) and 2: I've noticed that I don't have to line my wood tool chests with crazy synthetic layers that may or may not be resistant to petroleum products. Likewise, I'm beginning to realize the benefits of being able to make a wood tool chest much cheaper and effective than metal for my machining tools, and repairing or fabricating wood tools in the metal shop is just sooooooo much cheaper than buying them. I built a 200 dollar kreg jig kit not too long ago for about 40 bucks. Really the bit cost me 15 so yea, a 175 dollar discount and a free lesson in building kreg jigs (in all honesty I probably had about a 30 dollar "woops" account) for the price of a curious personality. Not that here is a contrast. There hasn't been a whole lot to come out of my wood shop (minus the chest) that can be used in the metal shop. But I've used my machine tools to sharpen all of my wood tools, and to achieve superior accuracy than most wood workers and also I think it's much easier bridging the gap from metal to wood than it is the other way around. Good on ya, Gus! I'm glad you're still giving them hell. I don't do a whole lot of posts at the wood forum and they're not too great, but if any of y'all do wood working too, I'm on lumberjocks with the same sn.
'

I've also done my share of woodwork, but my biggest problem was that I applied metal work fits to my wood projects. It led to a lot of tight fits on things like drawers, too tight to work.

Paul.

If it would work you could use the plastic trays from your old box for dividers in the drawer of your new box. Maybe cut the plastic down to fit the new drawers or put one or two dividers in the new drawers to hold the plastic trays.

Good idea. For now will use the existing trays, Will look for the plastic boxes used to hole Deep/med Sea Bottom Jigs.Have seen my fishy mates' big fishing tackle trays.

Last edited:
OK .Guys .Here comes the over kill. It seems to be a must for a modern carpenter to have---------cordless drill,cordless screw driver and air nailer. :hDe:Hammer and square are manual.With same nailer,I have a hand to hold job.Nailing is lightning speed. ''Pow" That's one nail done . Pow pow pow pow. However some minimum skills required. And personal safety to ensure one doesn't get nailed.:wall:Bought the M.I.C. Air Nailer for A$32.
Two drawers done,one mounted and fitted in. Still a lot of work left. :)

IMG_0460.jpg

Last edited:
I drove an 18ga bar as nail in my thumb once. Really hurt when it hit the bone on the tip. The nail bent as I was joining a couple pieces of oak. So I keep my hands a little farther from the nailer now.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Looking great Gus, are you going to fasten on a false front to the drawers to cover the runners and gaps? This would help keep the dust out and give it a nice finished look.

Paul.

Gus : Looking forward to your build.
I have pondered dreamed of building my own tool chest. may still some day.
I Have some WW tools my son found me a table saw at a yard sale picked up a router at a yard sale. I have a couple really good WW supply stores not too far away. I have an old oak dresser that could be re purposed.

Call me lazy if you will or practical but Tin Man drove about ten miles to the local harbor freight store, Home shop machinist magazine in hand with coupons and for $60.00 USD and a couple bucks more for the Governor I came home with on of these.
image_11844.jpg

The sad part is i priced the suggested materials for a lowes design tool box and it came to about $ 120.

The HF box is not a Gershner and if one likes to or needs to leave the till open you will need to add a folding lid brace or a pair. Also the drawer bottoms are flimsy Chinese Masonite type material. I am pondering making new drawer bottoms from aluminum sheet and have much stronger drawer bottoms.
That said This is my second HF box I have had the first one IIRC about a year with no issues.
Review of the HFT Windsor Tool Chest here.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f13/hft-windsor-design-tool-box-17414/
Tin

I've also done my share of woodwork, but my biggest problem was that I applied metal work fits to my wood projects. It led to a lot of tight fits on things like drawers, too tight to work.

Paul.

It love woodworking and like Swifty I sometimes make things tight. Here's an example of a jewelry box I made for my wife.

Jack
Draw-Tech:wall:

Castle_Closed.jpg

Castle_Open.jpg

Looking great Gus, are you going to fasten on a false front to the drawers to cover the runners and gaps? This would help keep the dust out and give it a nice finished look.

Paul.

Plan to cover up the drawers with false fronts/Put on a lid on the top to keep
dust away.
Put in sub-divisions slots to hold taps,punches, etc.
The M.I.C. Plywood quality has improved.
By latest Tuesday morning before leaving for a three day deeps fishing, will have drawers done with fronts. Plan to turn the Aluminium knobs.
Bought the "American Walnut"stained lacquer. Will be fun.

Hope Gus not starting another infectious campaign--------Make your own DIY "Poor Man's ToolMaker Tool Box which will last forever. Cost A$30.00.
Expensive Labour not included.

Latest posts

Back