DIY tangential tool | Diamond Tool Holder and plans in video description

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

It's interesting to note that tool holders similar to the 'Diamond' holders now available and examples being shown here were being used in the 19th Century. I have a facsimile of a Victorian treatise on engineering tools and machines which illustrate two different examples of such tool holders. My facsimile is of the eighth edition of the book published in around 1880 so it is probable that such devices had been around long before then.

TerryD

TerryD
I've 'prattled on' probably since the 1880's :) about 'Turning and Mechanical Manipulation' by Charles Holzaffel. I bought the set of books which were re-printed ? Lindsay Books but were from the internet.

A bit like Mrs Beeton's Cook books which say'First Catch your Pheasant:mad: as these set mention using walrus hide and shark's skin-- but a great read.
Of course the Holzapffels were part of 'Maudsley and his factory.

Yo- before u see I did all this - before I was 17------1947, when I studied Economic History as part and parcel in what could laughingly be described once as 'Political Economy'.
Another great read is 'Moon Beams of a Lesser Lunacy' by Stephen Leacock who was Emeritus Professor of Political Economy at McGill University. I probably say=t where George Stephenson's son- Robert sat in Newcastle's Litt and Phil Library before going from my office to study at night at college- like him:D

Norman

The book I have, which was a standard text book, is entitled " Workshop Appliance" and subtitled
" - including descriptions of some of the gauging and measuring instruments, hand cutting tools, lathes, drilling, planing and other machine tools used by engineers" (the Victorians loved their subtitles) by CPB Shelley who was a professor at Kings College, London.

I have another interesting text facsimile by the same man with another author which is called "The Whitworth Measuring Machine" which is as much a treatise on the methods of taking very accurate measurements as it is a description of Whitworth's various measuring instruments, especially the 'millionth' comparator. It is a fascinating view of the Victorian Engineers methods.

TerryD

Thanks for the tips - and cents on tips! My (crude) diamond tool holder - made a few years ago - lives in the 4-way tool post as with a very sharp tool it will take 2 thou. In brass, but the the lathe groans and I have to slow the feed rate. But I like the idea of using a round bit, although I have an 'old faithful' bull nosed carbide tipped tool that does all my heavy maichining very successfully. So the diamond bit does sharp-cornered shaped parts and single thou finishing. I also made a sharpening holder, but it's so good I hardly ever need to sharpen the tool bit. Maybe because I don't do much heavy cutting on tough steels, or cast materials? I like the geometry of the diamond tool holder, but is the same advantage necessary on a round tool? The corner will be a nice large (Low-stress) corner of slight eliptical form...? (Spell check called this "elitist" ... ! ).
Well done for these tips!
Elliptical is spelled with 2 Ls.

Yesterday I was cutting 0.001" for the final finish cut on a work-piece in Mild steel. With slow hand feed the finish (on return - taking off the peaks at about half the cutting feed) was better than fine emery polish - as I needed for painting. And that with a sharp-pointed Diamond tool. (Not dressed on the tip with a stone slip).
I also needed the sharp corner when I made a 1/4" x 40 ME adaptor for boiler testing today. (screws into a boiler bush to seal with a fibre washer). Now off to "the club" - City of Sunderland Model Engineering Society Ltd - to test some old boilers! (wives excluded!).

The book I have, which was a standard text book, is entitled " Workshop Appliance"

It's available at Workshop appliances: including descriptions of some of the gauging and measuring instruments ... : Charles Percy B . Shelley : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

[/QUOTE]I have another interesting text facsimile by the same man with another author which is called "The Whitworth Measuring Machine"[/QUOTE]

And it's available at The Whitworth measuring machine : including descriptions of the surface plates, gauges, and other measuring instruments, made by Sir Joseph Whitworth, bart., C.E. F.R.S. D.C.L. LL.D. &c. : Goodeve, T. M. (Thomas Minchin), b. 1821 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

There are a lot of these old, out of copyright books available, thanks for pointing out the titles!

Latest posts

Back