Diy hand wheel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never gotten around to making a ball turner but I do have a spare small boring head laying around - looks like another job on the to-do list.

I've never gotten around to making a ball turner but I do have a spare small boring head laying around - looks like another job on the to-do list.

I also have a small boring head which acts as a ball turner in my small Versatile Dividing head, which has a 'tail' between centres and another Acme thread to do ANY division with a one hole division plate.
But the boring head also fits into the tailstock and does taper turning.
As others have also remarked, a very versatile piece of kit. Mine came from the scrap box but calibrations etc came from a 1/4" 40TPI Model Engineers series tap and die.

This tap and die set was used to move the cutting tool in my inline boring bar.
These things bore dead parallel and eliminate all these possible problems with the conventional boring head.

Not me but straight out of Geo Thomas

I also have an endless list of things to build 😆😆

Greetings from brazil

I also have a small boring head which acts as a ball turner in my small Versatile Dividing head, which has a 'tail' between centres and another Acme thread to do ANY division with a one hole division plate.
But the boring head also fits into the tailstock and does taper turning.
As others have also remarked, a very versatile piece of kit. Mine came from the scrap box but calibrations etc came from a 1/4" 40TPI Model Engineers series tap and die.

This tap and die set was used to move the cutting tool in my inline boring bar.
These things bore dead parallel and eliminate all these possible problems with the conventional boring head.

Not me but straight out of Geo Thomas

I would like to see a picture of this
cheers

I'm one of those people who at great age do not really understand computers and modern cameras.
Your luck might change but in the meantime, might I suggest that you read George H. Thomas's Model Engineers Workshop Manual. It was only about £30 in the UK and is full of advice and dimensioned drawings. There is also his book 'Workshop Techniques' which does things like Dividing and Graduating and and small Universal Pillar Tools.

Meantime, thank you for your interest

Best Wishes

Norman

Latest posts

Back