dividing head "Gingery designed"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Reaction score
Started this the first part of Dec,2010
I'm now finished with the build so here is some photos of it.
front of dividing head only 3 cast parts make up the body of the frame
mill014-1.jpg

back side, with the foot it allows the head to be mounted horizontal and used as a rotary table.
mill013-1.jpg

patterns made from pine and mdf or scrap wood
mill009-2.jpg

brake is mounted to the frame,it's held on with one 5/16-18 bolt.
mill015-2.jpg

40 to 1 worm and worm wheel purchased at Mc Master and Carr most expensive part of the project. Back in 1981 the price was around $30.00 for this gear set, my cost was around $90.00 including the shipping.
mill014-2.jpg

The worm wheel, checking to make sure it fits in the frame
mill013-2.jpg

machining the worn carrier
mill012-2.jpg

indexing pin assembly with rough cast indexing sector arm
mill026-1.jpg

And cast pieces to boot! I applaud you sir, that looks terrific. Hope this turns out well for you, so far so good.

BC1
Jim

thanks for the reply! Bearcar1 I'm glad you like it.
some more stuff
crank handle fitted rough cast indexing plates sitting under the dividing head
mill025-1.jpg

plates ready to be faced off bored then the drilling
mill024-1.jpg

worm fitted to the frame with the brake behind the worm wheel. This is held in the frame with one 5/16-18 bolt. the nub sticking out on the right side is a backlash adjusting screw for the worm gear.
mill021-1.jpg

machining the plate carrier
mill036-1.jpg

boring the plate to 1.125"
mill031-1.jpg

starting to drill the indexing holes all are 1/8" there is almost 500 holes total and I didn't break a bit. I did dip the bit into wd-40 for each hole I drilled it took about 5 hours to drill all 3 plates.
mill039-2.jpg

made indexing strips glued to the OD of the wheel to space the holes all the info on how this is done is in the book
mill038-1.jpg

plate #3 done it has the most holes
mill037-1.jpg

plates are done!
mill040-1.jpg

crank handle with the indexing pin in. you can also see the sector arms are done
mill045-1.jpg

indexing pin retracted and locked ready to turn the crank to the next setting.
mill044-1.jpg

another view of the dividing head.
mill042-1.jpg

I cheated I've finished up the dividing head and the tail stand and I'm ready to start using it to make some gears I waited to finish up the dividing head before posting.
I started making the shaper,and mill( Gingery's design) last year, each took about 3 months to build. I didn't build the lathe because I have 3 lathes. 2 small sears and a Grizzly G0602. It took just over a month to build the dividing head. The cost was under $100.00 and that was for the worm and worm wheel. I plan on machining a couple of gears for the 6" sears lathe. The lathe's back gears is on it's last leg it has cracks between the teeth and will probably spit them out soon so I'll hopefully fix it before that happens.

That turned out fantastic.
Looks like a POM to me.

Jim in Minnesota

cast parts for the tail stand I have it finished but no photos of it.
mill043-1.jpg

here is the plate carrier it's held on the crank carrier with one pinch bolt (5/16-20) the plates are held on the plate carrier with 3 machine screws (1/4-20) flush heads.
mill041-1.jpg

Thanks for looking at my project I hope it will inspire you guys to give metal casting a try I've been doing this for less than a year, I used to help my Dad do castings when I was a 10 year old kid so I did learn some helping him, plus it a cheap way to make stuff you want.

The finished tail stand for the dividing head mounted on the mill and getting ready to try out cutting a test gear.
mill048-2.jpg

view of the gear as I'm cutting it
mill047-2.jpg

this is the finished gear. In my hurry to try out the dividing head I didn't get the cutting tooth centered on the gear blank so all the teeth are leaning to the right but the test of the dividing head was great all the teeth came out spaced all the same
mill056-2.jpg

this is the test gear's fate into the scrap bin to be remelted.
mill057-2.jpg

After cutting the gear I made the top cover for the dividing head to keep chips out of the gears
mill055-2.jpg

the plate I'm trying is the plate with a 20 hole circle to cut the 32 tooth gear. If it didn't have the sector arms to guide the hole count I'd get lost pretty quickly.
mill050-2.jpg

here is the plate and sector arms after 1 complete turn and 5 holes all set for the next cut. I'm turning the crank counter clockwise.
mill051-2.jpg

I think the dividing head was well worth the effort to build. For me this thing will work fine. I took only a little over 1 month to make.

Norman said:
Thanks Quickj. What is a POM?

"Project of the Month"

It is that little picture at the top of the home page. Chosen by the moderators.

Geee!
That never occurred to me. I was thinking more like POS. :big:
Thanks !! For the very kind comment Quickj.

Norman, nice project. I've been itching to build a small indexing head. That just makes me want one more....

You save your swarf to remelt too?

Yes I save the swarf to remelt. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble as I seem to get a bunch of dross when I remelt it.
Heck get the book for building the dividing head it not hard to make. I found building it a lot of fun. If you can find the worm gears needed cheaply then your close to having the hardest part done. Even if you purchase the gears like I did they cost less than $90.00. I almost bought a set off ebay that were 40 to 1 ratio but weren't the right pitch probably would have worked fine, the price was $40.00 I just decided to go with the book spec. for the gears. If you build one good luck with it.

I just noticed you in Norman ,OK. I live in Pampa, Tx. not too far from you.
If your ever over this was you could come take a look it the dividing head. Just PM me for a phone number and I'll tell you how to get to my place, if you fly ( I do) I could pick you up at the airport.

Norman, thanks for the invite. I may have to come invade your privacy!

I have a set of 30:1 gears out of a junk sewing machine... I do not have any facility for casting though.

Hi Norman,

Nice work on the dividing head. I have been wanting to make one for years but have been held back by the cost of the worm/wheel and my dislike of pattern making. I love melting and pouring!

Best,

Peter

None of the patterns are hard to make, all are very simple shapes.
I know the price of the gears were almost too pricey for me I did find a worm and worm wheel on e-bay for $45.00 and I think there is still a set there for sale they are 40 to 1 but I think a different pitch. The pitch shouldn't matter as Gingery said any 40 to 1 should work fine. He even says that you can size it up or down or use a different gear set. But then you will need to modify the plates etc. His books are pretty interesting to read, following the plans is easy.
when you think about it, the price isn't bad compared to the price of a purchased dividing head, you will have fun making it, at least I did.

That is a professional job Norman, Looks real good.
Elmo

Back