Dissolving a Broken Tap in Aluminum or Brass

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alum is also used as water treatment in swimming pools
http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Water-Clarifiers/14070.html

14070.jpg

a lifetime supply for under $20
Tin

I have access to a couple of toolrooms with EDM that do commercial work for me and generally remove broken taps for free.

The electrode only needs to be as big as the "core" diameter of the tap to break the tap up. It is a mistake to use a "tap size" electrode.

You can spark on "thermoneuclear" settings since you are not concerned about finish so it is very quick - just a couple of minutes.

If I break a tap in a part at funny compound angles (I always tap in the machine for tap alignment) which might be arkward to reset - then I remove the part c/w vice and take it down to my friendly EDM shop - it saves on set-up time.

Regards,
Ken

Hi Guys
Recently i broke a 6-32 tap in a crank case, and really didn't fancy
having to make it all over again, as a lot of work and hours went into it.

So i took the advise of the members here, and used Alum which i
purchased from a local taxidermist.

The result was amazing, the carbide tap just dissolved leaving the thread
in tact, and i was really quite surprised that it only took about three
hours.
OK it left the ally a little discolored but nothing that wont polish out.

So thanks guys for a great bit of advise, and i have no doubt i will
to used this method again some time in the future.

My Very Best Regards
Ken

I was all set to reply to this thread, then found that I already had, years ago, as a "guest"! :big:

I STILL haven't tried alum, fortunately haven't broken a tap in years, because I am gun-shy with taps and go very carefully.

One thing I've found that really, really helps is the natural tendency to use a tap drill size that is designed to deliver a 75% + thread. 98 times out of 100, you can go with a 60% to 65% thread (a slightly larger tap drill) with total safety and better success. There are tap drill tables out there that list more than one tap drill for a given tap, with the appropriate thread % next to each drill size. Very handy to print and have on hand.

rake60 said:
This is what I buy:

00214CF00052100002149.gif

It has to be a saturated solution left on a simmer over low heat.
It usually takes 10 to 12 hours.
I do that on an old electric hot plate on the back porch
since my wife isn't real happy about her kitchen smelling like
alum.

Rick

ha ha i just tried this today . i had a cylinder that took me forever it seemed like to get right then bam i broke my only 2/56 tap off. so off to the store to buy this very same alum and i put it in a tuna can with water about half of the bottle and simmered it for three hrs. let tell u it was all gone. just to make sure i drilled the hole out again nothing in there man was i a happy camper. IM a beleiver now for sure .
THANK YOU

Does this only work on small taps? would it take to long to dissolve.. say a 10mm tap??!

itowbig said:
i put it in a tuna can
You got to be careful about the container, it's steel also and you just discovered what
the alum does to steel. :)
...lew...

Brilliant! Thank you very much for this. :bow:

For the chap who bought his at the grocer's; check the spelling.

ALLIUM is the family of onion and garlic. I don't think garlic salt will quite cut it ;D

Andy

Something else that's worth mentioning, although it may apply only with imperial tooling...

You can use 4-40/5-40, 6-32/8-32, and 8-32/10-32 taps together. For example, let's say you have an 8-32 hole that is scary; deep, full thread, or bad material. Go in first with a 6-32 tap. Being undersized, it'll cut a tiny bit, but it certainly helps when the 8-32 tap goes in next.

In other words, drill for an 8-32 tap, cut it first with a 6-32, then finish with the 8-32. Same deal with 10-32, start with an 8-32 first. Obviously, you must have the same pitch between the two sizes. I don't know if this will work with metric, but it might.

Swede, I read a book on threads once that stated those overlapping SAE series threads were conceived with the idea that you could replace / retap a thread by going up one size.

The larger sizes are sometimes refered to as "boiler threads".

Ken

Swede said:
Something else that's worth mentioning, although it may apply only with imperial tooling...

You can use 4-40/5-40, 6-32/8-32, and 8-32/10-32 taps together. For example, let's say you have an 8-32 hole that is scary; deep, full thread, or bad material. Go in first with a 6-32 tap. Being undersized, it'll cut a tiny bit, but it certainly helps when the 8-32 tap goes in next.

In other words, drill for an 8-32 tap, cut it first with a 6-32, then finish with the 8-32. Same deal with 10-32, start with an 8-32 first. Obviously, you must have the same pitch between the two sizes. I don't know if this will work with metric, but it might.
That sounds like a slick trick especially for the 4 to 5 but I wonder (haven't looked yet) how much the jump of 6 to 8 or 8 to 10 actually takes off. I somehow doubt
it more than just barely touches the bore.
Good thinking though.
...lew...

Well, a #8 screw is (theoretically) 0.1653" in diameter and uses a #29 tap drill 0.1360" in diameter.
A #10 screw is 0.190" in diameter and uses a #21 tap drill 0.1570" in diameter.

So, theoretically, if you run an 8-32 tap through a #21 taping hole, it's oversize by
0.1653" - 0.1570" = 0.0083".

In practice, it will probably be something else by a couple thou.

Mainer said:
So, theoretically, if you run an 8-32 tap through a #21 taping hole, it's oversize by
0.1653" - 0.1570" = 0.0083".
That is diameter so the depth of cut will be on the order of .004 inches. :) I doubt
that is even enough to "guide" the next tap.
...lew...

It doesn't do much cutting when using that trick, but it can make the difference once in a while. More importantly, maybe, it allows for straighter and easier tapping when you do move up in size.

Swede, I read a book on threads once that stated those overlapping SAE series threads were conceived with the idea that you could replace / retap a thread by going up one size.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit!

I read somewhere else (maybe here) that of all the common Imperial threadforms, 6-32 is a bad design in that the diameter of the screw, vs the size of the "V", makes for a weak fastener. In other words, a 6-38 or 40 would be more proportional and stronger. 8-32 is fine.

Ever since I read that, I look at 6-32 fasteners with suspicion, even though I've never had one fail in a critical area! ;D

I've often wondered why 5-40 isn't more popular. I have taps, dies, and such for 5-40, but fasteners are not common.

When the smoke clears, we must be honest and acknowledge that the metric thread system is infinitely superior. ;)

Hi all,

I have read in several places that the metric system is very definitely inferior from the point of view of the amount of bearing face on the thread, as well as a load of technical stuff that I did not understand very well so will not try to define.

It would seem that the metric system was devised for planetary measurement (maps) and did not take into account engineering principles (being as they were in their infancy in the early 18th century.

A certain little Corsican corporal decreed that metric would be the way of his world and so it was.
Being as most of Europe was dominated by this person, most of Europe followed his decrees. This was mainly to standardise lengths of measurement for transporting troops...the Swedish mile is about 10 English miles (yes, I know, he didn't get to Sweden, but it shows the principle) ::)

Another little corporal, this time from Austria, also dominated most of Europe for a time, and he too was interested in moving large numbers of troops, so was keen to keep the system of measurement. ::)

Those who applied the science of measurement to engineering kept to the imperial measurements, and did not happen to get invaded at the beginning of (19thC), and rebirth of (early and middle 20thC) the industrial revolutions that were fed by the neccessities of war.

People have always developed a thread pattern for particular uses, check your Machinery's Handbook for the Loewenherz Thread which uses a 53 degree 8 minutes angle, used for measuring instruments in Germany. It is otherwise based on the metric system which, in its standard form, obviously didn't perform to requirements.
The point here is that, in my opinion, no one system is superior to any other, but you use which you want for the purpose that you are putting it to. :big:

I am not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination but I am interested in figuring out why certain systems use certain configurations.
If anyone can tell me why Whitworth uses a 55 degree angle and BSF and Unified (and metric) use 60 degrees I would be very grateful. It would appear on the face of it that it is just more meat on the thread but it may well be more than that. ???

Another thing, and I can't find it anywhere because it must too universally known...what do you mean when you say 6-32 etc? I realise that 32 is the TPI but what does the first number relate to please? I am building an engine to American plans using BA threads. The first number is about the same as the BA size but not the thread rate... ??? I can see that the measurement is a decimal fraction of an inch but is the number just a standard or is there a reason? Also, what happened to 7, 9 and 11 ??? ??? ???

The only reason that I don't mix thread systems on a build is the pain of trying to find the right spanners when putting it together or taking it apart. :D

Andy

6-32 etc? I realise that 32 is the TPI but what does the first number relate to please?

6 is the diameter. (6×0.013)+0.060=0.138 nominal OD. 0 is 0.060 diameter, IE 0-80 and more zero's are then subtracted from 0.060. IE 00-120 is 0.060-.013= 0.047 nominal OD.

Thanks Kevin,

Oh bugger...that means I have got to learn to count more than taking my shoes and socks off... :-\

I can manage fractions of an inch because that makes sense to me, I can picture 1/64's in my mind.

I can see why some people want to stick with metric :big: but I can't picture the increments in my head...it's the way I was raised I suppose ::)

Andy

Interesting post, Andy. I guess when I say metric is superior, it is in a sense of understanding what it all means. A 6mm x 1.0 screw is self-explanatory. And metric socket head screws also tend to be more intuitive when reaching for a fitting hex wrench. But from an engineering standpoint, they all differ depending upon the application.

Your question re: the imperial system is very valid. Theoretically, you can have #'s 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc hardware, but the system tends to skip numbers for simplicity's sake. I've got boxes full of imperial taps and dies that date back a hundred years, and there are examples of #3, 5, 12, and other sizes that are very uncommon, including interesting fractional sizes like 3/16". I do use a lot of #5 hardware because it is simply a nice size for model work, but the fasteners aren't common, or cheap. #12 also used to be more common, but today, in a typical hardware store, you'll find only 4, 6, 8, 10, and from there it jumps to 1/4" and up; we normally use fractional sizes above #10.

When converting threads in plans, perhaps the easiest way is to have examples on hand for comparison. I do a lot of metric plans, but I have imperial hardware, so I simply substitute with the closest fastener, always keeping in mind the strength, and also the available space if going up in size. A very typical substitution is 1/4" - 28 for a 6mm fastener.

With no examples on hand, you can simply print out charts of common imperial, BA, and metric threads, and it should be pretty easy to do.

Hi Swede,

Thank you very much for the information.

I have a printout on the wall that I worked out (I had to take my wife's shoes and socks off as well to count that high :big:)

I have uploaded it to the file section, called Simple Converter Chart.

I spend most every other minute checking it! :-[

Andy

Back