Disposable Gas Bottle Thread

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcheslop

Reaction score
What is the thread used on those disposable gas bottle used for camping stoves and blowlamps
I need to make a nozzle to refill small gas tanks via a Ronson valve
Many thanks
frazer

According to Zen Canisters Zen Canister Stoves - Liquefied Gas Stoves the thread is 7/16" NS.

Dave
The Emerald Isle
Fascinating that the threads are delineated as 'NS'.
See - - American National Standard vs. Unified Inch Standard

I would think that only a very small subset of the people on here were machining at the time of the nomenclature change - - - - it was in 1949 after all.
That a company would still use such a designation - - - that's just goofy imo!

Goofy? Maybe. I wasn't born till 5 years later but still have hand-me-down taps n dies with NS nomenclature and have odd screws etc. as well.
Maybe time to update? Or not if they are still in use?
The 7/16" NS info was very useful to me, as my old tap has eroded markings so I didn't know what size it was! - Thanks, I'll re-engrave the markings now.
K2

Goofy? Maybe. I wasn't born till 5 years later but still have hand-me-down taps n dies with NS nomenclature and have odd screws etc. as well.
Maybe time to update? Or not if they are still in use?
The 7/16" NS info was very useful to me, as my old tap has eroded markings so I didn't know what size it was! - Thanks, I'll re-engrave the markings now.
K2
It seems that the difference between NC and UN is actually quite small.
I would suggest following the directive given in page that I included and that is to just relabel such tools using UN (C, F or S).
Continuing to use obsolete designations only increases problems.
The idea of having standardized thread forms is to 'reduce' difficulties!

The pitch is different to UNC or UNF at 27tpi ? or am I looking at this wrong
26tpi will go on for three complete turns ,this is what I had thought it was as its nigh on impossible to get thread gauges in and be able to see
Found it so the S is for special ? and I thought the UK had some odd ball threading systems
cheers

Last edited:
The pitch is different to UNC or UNF at 27tpi ? or am I looking at this wrong
26tpi will go on for three complete turns ,this is what I had thought it was as its nigh on impossible to get thread gauges in and be able to see
Found it so the S is for special ? and I thought the UK had some odd ball threading systems
cheers
I just paged through the section in the Machinery's Handbook (mine is the 25th edition with the latest being the 30th edition) there are only some about 150 pages of information. AIUI there are even people who make careers on working this information ever 'better'. It seems that every threading system, even just looking at UNx (covering not only UNC UNF and UNS) and the British ISO Metric and the Metric, have a dizzying amount of 'exceptions' or specials.

I mentioned the idea of NOT using the NS designation because I have found using obsolete standards tends to increase the challenge in communicating effectively what it is that one wants done. I do know that there are plenty of companies that still spec their stuff using such obsolete standards - - - - but - - - do you see these companies as innovators or are they a bit more like the Rhine dragons sitting on their horde.
I'm not worried about using the newest and 'bestest' standards (I just can't afford to keep up in all honesty - - - saw a complete set of the ISO standards in a library once - - - - it looked like about a cubic meter of documents) but I also don't want to have to keep track of all the present AND all of the obsolete nomenclatures - - - - that would add far too much work IMO.

L98fiero's reference is great. I was concerned about the thread use with bottled gas but L98fiero's reference clearly states their is no meaningful difference between UN and NS.

Jon, youre right and were would be the fun in buying one
Screw cut a couple of adaptors today so just need the figure out the rest of it
I tend to use iso metric now as this side of the pond they are much cheaper than imperial. Although I often use an imperial size just to nark the crap out of a future collector in every build

Just looked through my draw of UNC/UNF taps and notice that some are marked (U)NF. I guess these are old and I think purchased 30 years ago. Occasionally I come across odd threads where these are useful. Like others I normally use metric. The exception is BA for models due to head sizing.

Latest posts

Back