Disabling the Sidebar

Help Support HMEM:

RonGinger

Reaction score
I am about to give up on this site. Without the sidebar its to much trouble to see what happened recently. I usually check a couple times a day, so the daily page shows me repeat entries.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I moved the new post from the left, to the right. It's part of a system that improves the overall function. You can turn the sidebar on if you want.

Scott_M

Reaction score
It does not seem to work for me.
I set "Disable side bar" to Yes ( last item on options page ) logged out and back in.
But it still remains.

?

Scott

clivel

Reaction score
I moved the new post from the left, to the right. It's part of a system that improves the overall function. You can turn the sidebar on if you want.
Austin,
It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I set Disable Recent Threads Sidebar to yes or no. I don't see a sidebar at all, what should we be seeing?
Clive

jwcnc1911

-jwcnc191
Reaction score
This is going to sound like a stab but i promise it's a reasonable question.

If you want to add "functionality" give the option for users to pick which side the bar is on. After all, many people seem to want that function on the left.

starnovice

Reaction score
The issue is not which side the bar is on, it's about having the same functionality of the old bar. Primarily, it will gray out the entry once you have read it and when you select an entry it will take you to the first unread entry. It would also be nice if the list were longer.

BrianS

Reaction score
I don't see a sidebar on the left or the right no matter what I have that setting set to, so not sure if it's working right. I understand your wanting to improve functionality of the board, but having information that was right in front of us but now must be searched for isn't an improvement in my eyes. No offense, just my opinion.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
It does not seem to work for me.
I set "Disable side bar" to Yes ( last item on options page ) logged out and back in.
But it still remains.

?

Scott
Did you click the submit button?

Austin,
It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I set Disable Recent Threads Sidebar to yes or no. I don't see a sidebar at all, what should we be seeing?
Clive
It's a new threads box in the right side.

This is going to sound like a stab but i promise it's a reasonable question.

If you want to add "functionality" give the option for users to pick which side the bar is on. After all, many people seem to want that function on the left.
By functionality I mean back end that improves how the forum works.

I don't see a sidebar on the left or the right no matter what I have that setting set to, so not sure if it's working right. I understand your wanting to improve functionality of the board, but having information that was right in front of us but now must be searched for isn't an improvement in my eyes. No offense, just my opinion.
How do you access the site?

Cogsy

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I have the same issue of the sidebar not displaying at all as well. I use IE8 (maybe 9) and I just checked my preferences and confirmed I have disable the sidebar set to 'no'. I've never seen the new sidebar as yet.

I'm now using the 'New Posts' feature (not sure if it's a new feature or I just never noticed it until it was pointed out) and I'm getting by with it, but it does lack the finesse of the old sidebar. The old one remembered that last post I'd read in each thread, and took me to the new posts once I clicked on the thread title. Now I have to estimate what page I'm up to and click on that, then scroll to locate new posts. Again, I don't want to whinge, but I did find the old sidebar much easier and quicker to access and it has reduced the amount I check HMEM. I'm certainly not going to give up on the site though, I like it way too much!

Scott_M

Reaction score
Hi Austin
Yes I clicked submit.
And if I go back there now it shows that it says "Yes" which is my choice.

I am using IE 10.

I am also using a small monitor and that sidebar takes up too much real estate and makes the post hard to read with these old eyes.

Thanks

Scott

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I tested and confirmed. Working on it now.

Scott_M

Reaction score
I just checked my settings and "yes" had cleared.
I re-set it and it is working now !

Thank you

Scott

BrianS

Reaction score
What ever you did fixed it for me as well. Thanks.

Niceonetidy

Colin D
Reaction score
What was wrong before. I like the web version, better than the iPad app

Latest posts