Disabling the Sidebar

Help Support HMEM:

BrianS

Reaction score
Hi,

When I logged in after the change, I had no sidebar and I would like to get that back. I followed the link and changed 'disable sidebar' to No, but no sidebar still. Also there is only a Submit button and no Save so I'm not sure where we are supposed to save the settings.

Thanks,
Brian

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sorry this is in reference to the right hand side bar and not the new post box that was located on the left. We stopped that feature.

gadabout

Reaction score
Please stop changing things! I for one would like the "new posts sidebar" back as soon as possible
Mark

starnovice

Reaction score
Sorry, but this new right side bar sucks. I want the Recent Posts back! It was useful for catching up my reading and it grayed out after I had read a message. This Newest Threads does nothing for me.

idahoan

Reaction score
Me too!

The left hand side bar missing was the first thing that I noticed about the update.

Personally I really don't care so much for the home page but can see the reason why it may have been done.

Software guys seem to like to muck with things that work just fine the way they are; just ask Microsoft.

Dave

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
This is actually part of a greater functionality that makes the forum run smoother.

Me too!

The left hand side bar missing was the first thing that I noticed about the update.

Personally I really don't care so much for the home page but can see the reason why it may have been done.

Software guys seem to like to muck with things that work just fine the way they are; just ask Microsoft.

Dave
I understand the complaint, but if was a mere manner of aesthetics it would not have been done. It would make no sense for me as a developer to implement a new feature where the benefits are not out weighed by the consequences. It's just like engineering anything else, sometimes you have to better the design which in turn means there are structural changes.

clivel

Reaction score
Sorry, but this new right side bar sucks. I want the Recent Posts back! It was useful for catching up my reading and it grayed out after I had read a message.
Absolutely, removing the left side bar was a completely retrograde step!! :mad:
It was the first place I looked and if anything would have preferred it to be a little longer than it actually was.

As for the new home page, I can take it or leave it, preferring to skip straight over it, but I can see where it might be of value to new users.
Clive

Jasonb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Absolutely, removing the left side bar was a completely retrograde step!! :mad:
It was the first place I looked and if anything would have preferred it to be a little longer than it actually was.

As for the new home page, I can take it or leave it, preferring to skip straight over it, but I can see where it might be of value to new users.
Clive
Could not have put it better myself, bring back the leftie.

J

Dr Jo

Reaction score
When you go to the page Austin identified scroll to the bottom and there is a disable adverts button that you also want to select :D

Jo

Ca-g

Reaction score
Please say why you removed the new posts sidebar...

Ca-g

Reaction score
All new threads appeared in the new posts sidebar but all new posts don't appear in the new threads bar...

Cogsy

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I've got to add a +1 for returning the new posts box. HMEM is open on my PC 24/7 and I'm always refreshing it whenever I pass to see any new posts. Without that feature I have to try and remember which threads I'm interested in and which sub-fora they are located in, then go and see if there are any new posts. I don't want to be negative but I can already see that this will result in much lower HMEM page views from me, just because it makes it too difficult.

///

Simon
Reaction score
Austin, the changes don't bother me, but are probably going to bring on another spate of people leaving :rolleyes:

The only thing likely to make me leave is all the petty whingeing and whining in threads like this one.

Anyone would think you had cut each members left arm off ;D

ConductorX

Reaction score
I like the old new posts side bar, but this arrangement with the side bar on the right and so huge it really messes with my kharma.

It won't go away either.

IMHO
"G"

kf2qd

Reaction score
But I can't get the sidebar to come back...

Reaction score
I too would like to see the left side bar back.

Also looks like most of the threads with photos at the bottom of the page are farly old.?

Dave

Latest posts