Digital Height Gage (almost finished)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score

I have almost completed my version of a Digital Height Gage.It is based on several builds, but the basis is an unmodified Digital VernierCaliper. I wanted to be able to remove the Digital Vernier and use it on itsown.

This is the chunk of Cast Iron I was having issues withgetting under the skin.

My build is based on a combination of versions by Frank McLean,Paul Pierce, and David Graves. It’s not quite finished as I don’t have thematerial to make the scribe point. My local Fastenal supposedly has 1/8” drillrod. I will post more pictures when it’s complete.

Pics here: http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/Digital%20Height%20Gage

I’ve noticed that handling the cast iron base still makes myfingers and anything else that touches it black. What finishes do you folks puton machined cast iron?

Chuck

I’ve noticed that handling the cast iron base still makes myfingers and anything else that touches it black. What finishes do you folks puton machined cast iron?

I use paint that is used to paint the inside of
engine block to seal it many colors stay on good:)

other wise cast is like chocolate, their is always a trace
on your finger, but you cant lick it away.Rof}Rof}

nice little project

warm it up in an oven to drive out any moisture and give it a coat of shellac while still warm. phosphating is another option but few people have the needed facilities or chemicals

Hi Chuck

Wish all the best with finishing your tool, but I think it's more complicated as needed.

I have made my scriper years ago, and if you accept that the refrence (zero) point is above 16 mm of the footplate of the tool, this construction is much simpler.

Latest posts

Back