Diesel engine : Kromhout Gardner 4LW 1940

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minh-thanh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
After searching for a diesel engine
I just want the engine to have 4 cyl , because maybe I don't have the patience to make the engine have more than 4 cyl
Maybe this is what I like
Maybe I'll make one

Kromhout Gardner 4LW 1940

Attachments

• kromhout_gardner_4lw_engine_013.jpg
    kromhout_gardner_4lw_engine_013.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 326
  • kromhout_gardner_4lw_engine_014.jpg
    kromhout_gardner_4lw_engine_014.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 342
  • kromhout_gardner_4lw_engine_015.jpg
    kromhout_gardner_4lw_engine_015.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 321
After searching for a diesel engine
I just want the engine to have 4 cyl , because maybe I don't have the patience to make the engine have more than 4 cyl
Maybe this is what I like
Maybe I'll make one

Kromhout Gardner 4LW 1940
Lovely engines!
I spent 10 years being pushed around by a 6L3B. Great memories.
I have often pondered building one, it would have to be petrol but in the spirit of the original diesel. Quite a few resources available online with good pictures and drawings. The original workshop and parts books had lovely accurate drawings of the components. For sure you can get a copy for a reasonable price.

HHi H Pearce !
Lovely engines!
The original workshop and parts books had lovely accurate drawings of the components. For sure you can get a copy for a reasonable price.
Do you have suggestions ? I'm about to start designing it.

Kromhout constructed this engine in license from Gardner Diesel. Maybe interesting to know that the Kromhout machineshop/shipyard is located adjacent to the site of, and is a direct descendant from, the main shipyards of the VOC, where the ships were built for the trade with East Asia, in Amsterdam since the 17th century. To this day it exists as 'Warfmuseum 't Kromhout'.

Hi All !

I'm designing engine
I don't understand what the part in the red circle is for ?
Does anybody know?
Thanks !
kromhout_gardner_4lw_engine.jpg

Chuck !
Thank you very much .
Hi All !
A update
Block Cylinder OK.jpg

Hi ALl !
A video that gives me more confidence to do this project :

lee webster .​

I made from solid
I make only one engine for me
moreover, I have no experience in casting .

Hi All !

This is the final update on the design - a lot of pipes ( oil pipes , water pipes , exhaust pipes ...) , other equipment are not assembled in the picture .
With this engine, the oil pump is designed with a lot of small details inside
I will update as I machine the parts
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Hi All !

I'm designing engine
I don't understand what the part in the red circle is for ?
Does anybody know?
Thanks !
View attachment 133877

this is a casting, the casting includes internal passages for cooling and in this case for push-rods, those internal passages start out in the casting mold as pieces of clay that need to be supported in the sand mold, all the openings (now with plugs) were for supports to hold the clay parts at the correct position within the sand mold. In automobile engines these holes get a second life after casting, they are then called freeze plugs, in case the coolant ever freezes solid the ice will push the (non-threaded) plugs out rather than crack the block.

Hi All !
An update
I locate the fixed lines - the light line - It is the center of the cylinders as well as the crankshaft ... , and then identify the places where the material needs to be removed - Lots of material to remove
1.jpg
3.jpg

1A.jpg

Latest posts

Back