Dickins Loco

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olympic

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I built this O gauge locomotive last winter, using a silver-soldered copper boiler instead of the brass called for in Dr. Senft's plans and finishing it for Christmas. Though I've run it successfully on air, I have yet to steam it:

IMG_20171222_103236.jpg
IMG_20171222_103436.jpg

I read somewhere that these things have a tendency to zip off the track unless they're pulling a load. Does anyone know anything about their running characteristics?

I built a Dickins probably about 2o years ago. I could never get it to satisfactorily run under steam. Ran beautifully up on blocks, but not on the track. I did some research and found that when constructing small boilers, They will not steam very well if you use too heavy a gauge metal for the boiler as you end up heating a mass of metal instead of water. I remember that Dr Senft specified a certain gauge for the boiler. I used a heavier gauge (thicker is better, right?). I rebuilt the boiler to the proper gauge and it was somewhat better, but still not good. I attributed that to my workmanship and have not fooled with it since. Every once in a while, I look at it and have the urge to make another go at it. Keep us posted when you steam it
Rick

Thanks, Rick. I built the boiler heavier because I don't trust soft solder and brass (Senft's idea) for a boiler. If I can't heat it enough with the stock burner, I think I'll try gas....

Last edited:
Back