• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

?dial-test indicator ebay?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Read the dial again. It's not Mitutoyo. And it came from China. Hong-Kong = China.

Correct, it says Mitutoy. Missing the 'O'. Also Mitutoyo have a seal or stamp on the left side of teh face about 9 oclock. still cheap buy though. if its accurate and lasts a while its all good.

cheers Artie

I, as a newbie. got one similar to this also. I figured that if it didn't work well I would tear it down and study it. Plus I still would have the other stuff. Cheap course in DI's for me. I'd hate to tear up a good one.

Ed

That is a very deceptive ad.
I have never seen a Mitutoyo test indicator with a yellow dial face.
I have never seen any of their products with the company name
misspelled.

There are several honest pacific rim import test indicators available.
One that has to play on the Mitutoyo name, I would avoid.

Rick

Rick, that is exactly what they are doing. Fooling the unwary with that stuff. Somebody on an email list I am on got bit by that one.

Better off with a used Starrett LastWord than a "Mitutoy" any day.

I purchased the same one several months ago and it works great!

The name on the indicator is in fact "Mitutoyo", and says that it is made in Japan.
Of course having a name on something does not mean that it is the real thing, I live in SE Asia
and see that every day!
However my Test Indicator works well and for the cost it is hard to beat!

Anyways that my two cents worth.

Actually all Mitutoyos Ruby contact DI's are yellow faced (thats what this unit is, unless you WANT a white face as thats available as well as an option), but ALL Mitutoyos have the face stamp and this one doesnt.

I actually emailed an Aussie ebay seller who was trying to pass these off as genuine items. I think he was genuine and was a victim as he withdrew them and emailed back with a serious apology and a short explanation.

Artie

Just like our local Chinese shop sells CADIO calculators for an Euro. I suppose it's just miss spelled, after all the D is just next to the S :big:

Here's a link to DTIs on Mitutoyo's web site:

http://www.mitutoyo.co.jp/eng/products/dialgauge/Indicator_3.pdf

There are a couple things of note that jump out at you.

The genuine articles do indeed have a yellow face.
"Mitutoyo" is spelled correctly on the genuine, as you would expect.
"Made in Japan" and the model number is a rather small font on the genuine article whereas it's rather prominent on the knock-off.
Cover plate on the genuine is on the left, knock-off is on the right.
Numbers and tick marks seem bolder on the genuine though could just be a camera/digital artifact.
The knock-off uses the same model number as Mitutoyo.

None of these things affect the accuracy of the instrument, they may in fact be accurate. However, the attempt at deception is reason enough for me to run away from it.

I bought one a year or so ago knowing it was a fake. I was buying some other things off him at the time and I thought I would give it a try as it was cheap and I could keep my other good ones safe in the cupboard instead of using them for general use.
It seems OK but be careful of the dovetail clamps there only made of brass and mine broke easy.
The magnetic base is a miniature one, about 1/3 to 1/4 the size of a normal one and it is Permanent magnet that cannot be turned off. The ball joints are very stiff as well.
If this one gets damaged somehow, for the price I would buy another one, it seems to be accurate enough for general setup jobs (and I won't be too worried if I happen to drop it or something) but for precision I use my Bestest or the Tesa Tast.
Davo

Latest posts

Back