DeskProto 3D cam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcfreak177

Reaction score
Hi, Just wondering if anybody out there is using DeskProto to generate tool paths.
I have just download the trial an it looks good.

I am after some pro's and con's while using this program with Alibre Design Personal Edition and also Mach3.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Barry. ??? ???

http://www.deskproto.com/products/dplite.htm

Hello,

I have some feedback on Deskproto for anybody if they are interested. After downloading the evaluation copy (which is fully functional) I have come to the conclusion that the software is quite good, I have been playing around with STL files in 3D which I have imported int Deskproto and manufactured a couple of quite complex parts for my KJ66 turbine project. I successfully carried out a 4 axis continuous rotary machining function with my SX3 mill and was very happy with the outcome. I found Deskproto is very easy to use and was able to calculate tool paths and post process to Mach3 format in a very fast and accurate manner. You can work in 2D or 3D format, also import STL, DXF, WRL and Bitmat files. I also found that none of the codes that I produced needed editing before running on the machine. There are several different choices of tool path including 4 and 5 axis rotary machining, 3D radial roughing, plunge roughing, roughing using the x or z direction and also using both. The finishing operations include contour machining and also waterline clean up. There is a option for tool collision check and is also able to protect vertical surfaces during movement. The downside of the software is there is no drilling, reaming or tapping function available. I have not used the 2D function as yet as I mainly use Lazycam for that. all in all Deskproto is a true 3D milling package with up to 5 axis machining, including rotary, has a price tag of around $995 Euro with an option of another more budget package which still has more than enough functions for the average modeler for $495 Euro. I think that In will purchase a licence for the $495 Deskproto version 4.2.
There are also hundreds of post processors and machine layouts built in (most of the machines I have ever heard of).

I would recommend downloading the software, they give a fully functional 30 day trial, so you can actually make parts to see if you like it. I guess worst case scenario if you do not like the software it is easy to erase it and forget about it.

Regards Barry.

http://www.deskproto.com/

Back